AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ok ok! Don't hit me! :eek: I've read all of the previous messages regarding "the best" anything. It's obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I have some specific parameters and I'd like to get people’s opinions.

I have a budget of about $5k but can go as high as $7k if it makes sense. That’s for my entire home theater btw, as I’m going to need to upgrade the sound system as well.

I’ve investigated HDTV quite a bit and I realize that most standards have been set but the one outstanding issue seems to be the recent addition of a DVI connector to the latest models. It's not a standard yet, but if DVI becomes the dominant standard, the speculation is that future satellite receivers, cable boxes, etc. would only output 1080i signals via the DVI port and would output a "downrezzed" 480p signal via component outputs, which is what current generations HDTV's are primarily geared to accept. I just want to make sure that the set I buy supports both DVI and HDCP so that it has a good chance at being compatible in the future.

So what TV would you recommend for me? Can I afford one with 9†“guns� I want the largest possible screen today that doesn't compromise picture quality. What television would you suggest?

Ron

·
Registered
271 Posts
Since big screen, HD and DVI are requirements for you, there's precious little to choose from right now and likely nothing that fits in your budget, especially if the budget must cover a DVI-fitted set top box (are there even any of these yet).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well at least that confirms what I'm finding. I guess DVI is still a ways out, more likely later this year.

How about taking DVI out of the equation (for now)? It appears that the front-projection systems are way out of my league, but are they that much better than the rear projection sets? Or just larger?

For instance, what I've seen around are the Toshiba 65HX81, Sony KDP-65XBR2, Hitachi 61SWX12B, and Mitsubishi WS-65869. All of them are similar, although the Tosh, Sony, and Mits are 65 inchers vs the Hitachi. I must say that the Mitsubishi looks more impressive and includes firewire and other recent features. But usually one or another stands out at the top for some reason. I've looked at the specs and found nothing dramatically different. Is there anything I'm missing?

EDIT: I did find Mitsubishi's approach to DVI interesting though....

=====

"MDEA also noted that DVI (Digital Video Interface) input is not part of its long-term product strategy because it is not networkable, controllable or recordable. Devices that support the DVI interface are really encouraging the demise of "Fair Use" home recording rights, because the DVI signal is not recordable."

=====

Ron

·
Registered
271 Posts
HD-capable plasma and DLP rear projection are out of your price range.

Mass market CRT rear projectors tend to perform poorly out of the box but can usually be coerced into producing a fine picture after extensive professional calibration. You can get away with more ambient room lighting than with front projectors. They tend to be a satisfactory compromise for people wanting a big screen in a box but still wanting some of the emotional experience of direct view CRT.

I'd suggest calling some local ISF-certified dealers and seeing a few demos of properly calibrated displays of various types to see what is possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You'll get as many answers as answerers on this Ron. That's the problem - a lot of people will tell you which set they like, or don't like, but if these sets weren't optimally calibrated, the opinions aren't very helpful to a buyer concerned with picture accuracy and maximizing their enjoyment relative to their investment.

As an pro calibrator, I'd like to encourage you to approach it from a different angle. Talk to local pro calibrators and ask them which sets in your price range they've had great success calibrating. Discuss which sources (satellite, DVD, HDTV, etc.) you'll run and how much ambient light your viewing room will have. Have a look at these pages to find pros to contact in your area:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=99418

http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm

Good luck!

·
Registered
903 Posts
That last piece of advice is probably the best you will get. The Sony XBR2 are very good sets. As for working out of the box-------I have a Pioneer Elite 520HD and it worked perfectly out of the box.

Hugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.