2020 was a challenging year. COVID-19’s impact was felt throughout every corner of our nation and the world. The entertainment industry was hit hard and that included the making/release of films both in theaters and on home video.

As in years past, when I began thinking about assembling this list, there wasn't an abundance of titles coming to the forefront of my mind. But, once I began going over this year's reviews, I didn't have any problem coming up with a cache of titles that make worthy additions to the collections of enthusiasts. 2020 saw a very limited amount of new movie/home video releases. Catalog releases on Ultra HD Blu-ray were more abundant.

I will offer my picks for the best Blu-ray releases for this year which will include some of my favorite films that were released this year on Blu-ray. The list will include Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray titles. These are not in any particular order nor is this list by any means intended to be comprehensive.

I have included a link to the review of each entry, which can be accessed by clicking on the title.

Full Metal Jacket Ultra HD Blu-ray

Alfred Hitchcock Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection

IP Man: Complete Collection 4K Box Set

There you have it—my picks for some of this year's best Blu-ray releases. I'd love to hear your thoughts as well as your own picks for 2020. And, I would be more than happy to entertain recommendations that could be added to the list based on a group consensus.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from Portrait.com)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7706 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems