AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyones recommendation for the best bookshelf speakers on the market right now? I would like it to have a paired center channel.

Looking for a significant upgrade over my Polk Audio RTi8 towers.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Polk Rti isn't bad to my ears. I have heard the 8s, 9s, and 12s. If you want a huge upgrade in a bookshelf speaker, you are going to need to spend some real money. Here is a bookshelf speaker that should top an RTi 8 pretty thoroughly. I am thinking this or this bookshelf speaker should spank some Polk Rtis pretty hard as well. The Polk LSi's have measured very well, they might be worth a look. You might also look at the JTR Single 8 speakers for something with more dynamic range. The Klipsch Palladium P-17b also measures pretty well, and promises some very nice dynamics.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450208

What is everyones recommendation for the best bookshelf speakers on the market right now? I would like it to have a paired center channel.

What is your budget?

Reactions: tdogroeder

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450615

What is your budget?

Ditto

Without a budget there can be recommendations ranging from $500-$5000 or more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450952

Is the budget still $1000, or has it gone higher?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520485/best-floor-standing-speaker-pair-or-3-front-speakers-for-around-1000

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520383/possibly-thinking-of-upgrading-looking-for-input-as-speaker-quality-not-my-forte
looking to spend around 1000-2000 for at least the front two. If not two fronts and center

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24453183

looking to spend around 1000-2000 for at least the front two. If not two fronts and center

I have the Vera VS05 bookshelf speakers coming today - good close-out price
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs05be-pair-elsberry-finish?pp=24

http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs05bm-pair-maple-finish?pp=24

This is the center
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs1ce-elsberry-finish?pp=24

http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs1cm-maple-finish?pp=24

Another image of the speakers
http://www.highend-anlage.de/files/imagecache/normal/files/images_highend/4_IMG_9833.jpg

http://www.highend-anlage.de/files/imagecache/normal/files/images_highend/2_IMG_9845.jpg

MB Quart can make some real nice/good stuff

Your call

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450767

I'll pile on with a big +1 to @shadyJ 's JTR Single 8HT recommendation. According to those that have heard them, they are capable of almost unbelievable levels of clean, accurate output. Be prepared for a sub upgrade though.

Edit: Being a coaxial, you simply lay one on its side (if necessary) for a centre channel.

I have the SVS PB12-NSD do you think that's enough?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
A single PB12 NSD will be badly outmatched by a JTR Single 8. I suppose the PB12 would do ok if you never turned your system up loud, but if you don't do that, whats the point in getting a speaker like a Single 8?

·
Registered
9,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24456832

A single PB12 NSD will be badly outmatched by a JTR Single 8. I suppose the PB12 would do ok if you never turned your system up loud, but if you don't do that, whats the point in getting a speaker like a Single 8?

Just plain wrong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24456832

So what would you suggest? I'm not familiar with coaxial speakers, why is there no tweeter in the speaker?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
There is a tweeter in there, it's in the center of the woofer. It's hidden by the dustcap. It's a powerful compression driver. Coaxial means the drivers are nested inside each other. As for your sub, it just does not get very loud, nowhere near reference, but that speaker would be singing at reference levels in a medium sized room. Your sub would only be able to get a f raction as loud as those speakers, a total mismatch in dynamics. I am not trying to rip on your sub, there is a lot to like about it, but it is intended for much more modest playback than a JTR system is. The subs that would only start to match a Single 8 would be subs like a Rythmik FV15HP, SVS PB13 Ultra, Hsu VTF15h, Seaton Submersive, etc. Or also any subs from JTR. I would get multiple subs for the best sound.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24457211

So what would you suggest?

Keep it up, and your budget will continue to rise!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24457299

There is a tweeter in there, it's in the center of the woofer. It's hidden by the dustcap. It's a powerful compression driver. Coaxial means the drivers are nested inside each other. As for your sub, it just does not get very loud, nowhere near reference, but that speaker would be singing at reference levels in a medium sized room. Your sub would only be able to get a f raction as loud as those speakers, a total mismatch in dynamics. I am not trying to rip on your sub, there is a lot to like about it, but it is intended for much more modest playback than a JTR system is. The subs that would only start to match a Single 8 would be subs like a Rythmik FV15HP, SVS PB13 Ultra, Hsu VTF15h, Seaton Submersive, etc. Or also any subs from JTR. I would get multiple subs for the best sound.
They certainly are ugly!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24456362

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450767

I'll pile on with a big +1 to @shadyJ 's JTR Single 8HT recommendation. According to those that have heard them, they are capable of almost unbelievable levels of clean, accurate output. Be prepared for a sub upgrade though.

[ ... ]

Edit: Being a coaxial, you simply lay one on its side (if necessary) for a centre channel.

I have the SVS PB12-NSD do you think that's enough?

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious with my quip about the sub. It will be fine. You don't necessarily need to upgrade your sub to run the Single 8HT"s. However, what you should be aware of is that, with the levels of clean output the Single 8HT's are capable of, the PB12-NSD will be the limiting factor in how loud you can play your system without undue audible distortion.

What it also means is that - with their combination of 95dB/1W/1m sensitivity and high power handling (1200W peak) courtesy of their high end pro-sound derived coaxial compression driver/woofer - at satisfyingly loud levels the Single 8HT's will be operating at a fraction their capabilities and will sound crystal clear, composed and dynamic.

Logically, your next upgrade would be a second PB12-NSD or PB2000 if you wish to play your system a bit louder. Whether or not you step up to higher performance subs like Seaton, JTR, SVS Ultras etc all depends on your desired maximum listening levels and room size.

You might be interested in attendees impressions of the Single 8HT at the April 2013 NE Spring Speaker Shootout .

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24457699

They certainly are ugly!

If you want something that looks nicer but has a similar dynamic range, check out the Pi threes , there are a few different woods and finishes you can apply to them, but it does boost the price. Those are a larger than ordinary bookshelf speakers though- the woofers are 12"s. The measured performance is very good, and what's more, unlike the Single 8s, they are 8 ohm speakers so any AVR could run them fine, and you don't need separate amps for them at all. They are probably larger than what you have space for though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone heard the Swan (HiVi) W6-6TC bookshelf speakers? Any thoughts?

Also, what does everyone think about the Polk LSiM703?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24457699

They certainly are ugly!

That's because they are designed for a dedicated HT room, not someone's living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticality  /t/1521381/best-bookshelf-home-theater-speakers-want-a-huge-upgrade-over-my-polk-rti8#post_24450208

It might help everyone to know what you are looking for in an upgrade. I also think that unless you are looking for more volume/better dynamics (which the JTR Single 8HT be an excellent choice for), then a "significant upgrade" is going to come from what you can "hear." The RTi8 are pretty good speakers, and your particular listening tastes will be the biggest determining factor in upgrading from here. Best to go out and demo some speakers at local hi-fi shops before going further. If you can tell us what speakers you have found that you like, then we can offer you alternatives

1 - 20 of 23 Posts