AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Based on these options, what would you choose and why. Keep in mind this is Cad pricing

Wharfedale Jade 3- 1700

Monitor Audio Silver 2 -1300

Kef LS-50 -1700

Kef R300 - 2200

Ascend B-stock Sierra 2 1600-1700 est by the time I get them up here

My use will be mainly home theater but I appreciate 2 channel audio, most likely driven by Denon AVR 4100

I care not about low end, which is handled by dual SVS pc12-nsd and soon to be pc12 plus

Thank you in advance, am I missing any other contenders?

Kinda leaning towards the Ascend, that Raal tweeter sounds like it would sound amazing

·
Registered
18,457 Posts
Hi everyone

Based on these options, what would you choose and why. Keep in mind this is Cad pricing

Wharfedale Jade 3- 1700

Monitor Audio Silver 2 -1300

Kef LS-50 -1700

Kef R300 - 2200

Ascend B-stock Sierra 2 1600-1700 est by the time I get them up here

My use will be mainly home theater but I appreciate 2 channel audio, most likely driven by Denon AVR 4100

I care not about low end, which is handled by dual SVS pc12-nsd and soon to be pc12 plus

Thank you in advance, am I missing any other contenders?

Kinda leaning towards the Ascend, that Raal tweeter sounds like it would sound amazing
"Mainly home theater" = I would leave out the KEFs and probably go with the Ascends. Cheapskate that I am, I'd probably just stick to the Sierra 1s or even go with the CMT-340SE to be honest. :D

Reactions: audiofreak38

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
My son was looking at replacing his 25-year old Infinity bookshelf speakers, so we made an appointment and took a trip to San Clemente to auditioned some speakers. We auditioned the Sierra towers first (with ribbon tweeters), then the Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers (again, ribbon tweeters). After a little over 2 hours of auditioning these fine speakers in 2.0 mode, I had to leave because of prior commitments. My son stayed to audition the 340’s with 170’s as surrounds in 5.1 mode (with a Rythmik sub).

We both enjoyed the audition, but out of all the really nice speakers he heard that day, he talked most about the Horizon center channel. Go figure ;).

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
The Ascend Sierra at that price would be my choice too, but only because the KEF R series is beyond budget.

When you can afford them (I was able to at that time) the fact that it's a well-rounded system capable of truly good HT yet adept with music only is part of the reason I chose them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After just getting back from Capital Autofest I know which bookshelf speaker I would buy, and that would be the Legacy Audio Studio HD's, they start at $1795 (US) depending on finish. These things play much larger than what they are, and I was totally surprised by the speaker's performance. I was so impressed that I actually bought the pair that was there on display. This speaker is in Legacy's "Rosewood" finish, and is truly a thing of beauty and will find it's way into our master bedroom.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I owned KEF LS50, Monitor Audio GS10 and Ascend Sierra-2 and have auditioned KEF R300 and Silver 2

I would say go with Sierra-2, as in my opinion the Sierra-2 is a level above all the other speakers you listed

As matter of fact, I had both Sierra-2 and B&W 805D2 in my room for a few month together and surprisingly it was a very even battle between the two despite the price gap

In the end, I sold them both and bought a pair of the Sierra Tower w/ RAAL :p

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Have you heard any of the native Canadian speaker companies? If not, have a listen to PSB, Paradigm, and Totem, before making a final decision.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Have you heard any of the native Canadian speaker companies? If not, have a listen to PSB, Paradigm, and Totem, before making a final decision.
That's a good line of Canadian Products. I just got back a weekend or so ago from Vancouver Audio show, I listened to many pairs of speakers. After putting the marketing and wasted time they put into marketing speakers these days id have to say Dynaudio & Totem sure disappointed me :(

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
That's a good line of Canadian Products. I just got back a weekend or so ago from Vancouver Audio show, I listened to many pairs of speakers. After putting the marketing and wasted time they put into marketing speakers these days id have to say Dynaudio & Totem sure disappointed me :(
Interesting. Those are two of the most respected names in the business. Can you describe in more detail why these disappointed you?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Interesting. Those are two of the most respected names in the business. Can you describe in more detail why these disappointed you?
Honestly ? because they both sounds like crap, the flagship model of the totem, sounded really really bass heavy and muddy.

The dynaudio's were some new wireless speaker thing that was self powered running some kinda dsp with WAYYY to much eq'ing and so much treble. This is the problem with audio now, all these manufactures have great names behind them to back their brand but when you spend your hard earned money on something that has been shown and proven to be good and time added to it, they go down hill.

Now a days it's all show and pretty looking and no good sound quality. My biggest rage against klipsch, they USED TO BE GOOD, now they are just assembled so fast and use a poor design slapped on with a semi-nice finish / look. Ane people rave about them because they have the "Klipsch" logo on them. They must be the best right ? because "klipsch" marketed them to be really good with a very well known name.

It's actually really sad now a days, you pay so much money for a high end speaker, but take a look inside its all particle board crap, glued with crappy glue crappy build inside and crap components. Speakers are the most marked up product in the audio field, right before cables.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
WOW. I've noted Totems can be a bit warm-sounding, but muddy? Somebody screwed up in the placement or EQ of that speaker and/or the room sucked. As to Dynaudio, I guess they are going in on the trend to more treble is better treble (a trend I detest). Klipsch made their money doing the exact same thing and businessmen will practice monkey see monkey do ... sound quality be damned.

It is why I always stress the listening portion of the buying process. Your ears will tell you about cheap parts and bad boxes. Poor design will out!

·
Registered
783 Posts
WOW. I've noted Totems can be a bit warm-sounding, but muddy? Somebody screwed up in the placement or EQ of that speaker and/or the room sucked. As to Dynaudio, I guess they are going in on the trend to more treble is better treble (a trend I detest). Klipsch made their money doing the exact same thing and businessmen will practice monkey see monkey do ... sound quality be damned.

It is why I always stress the listening portion of the buying process. Your ears will tell you about cheap parts and bad boxes. Poor design will out!
Apparently the designer for Totem, flag ship speaker was in the room talking about his design, stating he has perfected the drivers of some special kind, and that the design doesn't use a crossover.. UM WHAT ? i shook my head and said wow ! Plus they really didn't look like $16,000 either.

WHO the heck would spend money on wireless speakers if they have to be plugged into a wall ? ( Dynaudio )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts