AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After listening to the $30,000 setup at Magnolia and coming home to my Polk Monitor's, I almost cried. So now I'm trying to bridge the gap, well, sort of.
Would the AC4L Focal Chorus floorstanders and the center be a noticeable upgrade from my Monitor 75T's? Probably 50/50 HT/music, as I have headphones already.

EDIT: I have decided to keep the Polks as my HT setup, and instead get a dedicated 2 channel setup. This will probably be 2.0 as I don't really like the sub for music for some reason. I will probably get a XPA-200 to power them.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24131064

Gary, here's what I'd get:

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1
Piano black for $854 shipped.

I'd be tempted to break the bank a little and spring for the NRT tweeter upgrade.

If space is limited I'd also be tempted with these: The salk WOW1 mini monitor. Salk makes amazing speakers. You can't go wrong with either speaker.

http://www.salksound.com/wow1%20-%20home.htm

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
IMO the best speakers you can get for under $1000 are without question the Focal Chorus 807V.

They WERE selling for $1200, but Music Direct is now selling them for $719/pair, which is a really wonderful deal on some outstanding speakers.

The Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 would be my second choice, For $699/pair.

They have 8" bass drivers, which means they have more bass than almost any other bookshelf speakers in this size or price range.

If you are not going to use a subwoofer, that is a consideration.

Either of these excellent speakers will really sound great to you compared to your old speakers; a very large upgrade in sound quality.

BTW- The XPA-200 is only a basic power amplifier. You would need a preamp to go with it....possibly the USP-1?

Or you could get a good integrated amplifier. The Music Hall A 15.3 is a very good-sounding integrated amp that is only $550, and has all the power you will need for any pair of bookshelf speakers.

OR...If you really want sound to die for, you can get the Vandersteen Treo speakers ($6000) and a Musical Fidelity M6i Integrated Amplifer ($3000). That will definitely put you in hi-fi heaven.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out the Phil's and Focals, already had my eyes on the Sierras. As I said, I'm just going to keep the Polks for HT and just get a dedicated 2 channel for music.

I was actually thinking the XDA-2 as a preamp, but not sure if a USB stick would work with the USB-B input. Any experiences?

EDIT: On the Focals, would the 826 at AC4L (mentioned in first post) be the better choice? Almost the same price...

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24133948

EDIT: On the Focals, would the 826 at AC4L (mentioned in first post) be the better choice? Almost the same price...

If you do choose Focal - to save on speaker stands - then I would go with a tower,

plus you get the extended bass - the 814 or 727 >> and their bass output will be

about the same - 1 to 2 db difference.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
You will get the same recommendations over and over ,some people doesn't likes Coca-Cola but they like Pepsi and other people like sprite but don't like sierra mist or 7 up or vice versa .lol the best that you can do is audition the speakers, I know that it will add to the cost, but you will be more happy with your own choice .

we can get closer to the right choice if we ask first what type of music you listen more.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You could probably get some killer speakers on ebay or audiogon for around 1k that would blow away anything brand new at that price. For example, there are a pair of Revel M20s for $850 on Audiogon, and I'm sure you can haggle it down to closer to $700, these retail for over $2k originally.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24134974

.lol the best that you can do is audition the speakers, I know that it will add to the cost, but you will be more happy with your own choice .
+1
Quote:
we can get closer to the right choice if we ask first what type of music you listen more.
+1

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

But thanks to @jephdood I am the proud owner of NHT Classic Fours, Threes, and a ThreeC.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but here they are!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24137426

But thanks to @jephdood I am the proud owner of NHT Classic Fours, Threes, and a ThreeC.

I see you must have upped your budget, If I had known that I would have steered you toward him earlier. I bought a pair of Classic Fours from him awhile back. Great guy and some great speakers. Congrats!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Classic Fours? Wow they are on my list of speakers-to-seriously-consider-buying.
Plus, one of the very few acoustic-suspension models available out there - cleaner/smoother bass to me vs. most ported systems.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
I would find a way to get that center speaker off the bottom shelf -

However, enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24137993

However, enjoy them.

Or put something underneath it to tilt the center up would also work.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24137500

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24137426

I see you must have upped your budget, If I had known that I would have steered you toward him earlier. I bought a pair of Classic Fours from him awhile back. Great guy and some great speakers. Congrats!

Thanks! Had to up it a little, but I feel like this is better for me in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24137993

However, enjoy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite  /t/1508306/best-bookshelves-for-under-1000#post_24138874

Or put something underneath it to tilt the center up would also work.

Currently using a couple books, might get some foam later if I feel like it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts