AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to upgrade to a bigger TV for our family room (at least 55"), but it has to perform well in bright rooms. What are the best options?

We have a 4 yr old Samsung LN-T4661F which is a great TV with a great anti-reflective screen for our multi-window family room (windows on 3 sides). We recently mounted the TV on the wall and arranged the furniture much further away from the set (couch nearly 20' from TV). Therefore, we decided to upgrade to a bigger TV.

Enter the Sharp 70" 632 model. Read the CNET 732 review that said it performed well in bright room (relative to plasmas) and thought the 632 must be the same. Love the TV, but HATE the reflections. It is a matte screen, but it reflects a ton of light. This is not our movie room, this is our family where we want the shades open and Christmas tree lights on (yes, Christmas tree lights are distracting). This TV has to go back. I'd rather have the smaller Samsung than the bigger reflecting Sharp.

Are there still great anti reflective TVs available like my 4661 Samsung? I like to do a crouch test in the store where I look for the reflections of the ceiling lights on the screen. I only tried this at Walmart recently and was not impressed by any of the LCDs. Have all manufacturers moved away from a great matte screen? Are they going to something in between to get better PQ performance?

Thanks for your input.

Ed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the Sharp TV on the west wall, with the sun glaring through the south windows on the left. I purposely left the flash on to illustrate the difference in reflection.

I put the older Samsung as close to it as possible and left the flash on. It is not exactly and apples/apples comparison, but it illustrates the difference. While both TVs are advertised as matte screens, they sure do perform differently in my living room. I sure would like a bigger TV, but only if I can find a similar matte screen to my older Samsung. Let me know if you know of anything.

Man, the 70" TV is so much bigger...I wish I could live with the reflections but I just cannot. I can see the green of the grass on this angle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i share your concerns! I have an 46" Sony XBR3 that has pretty good PQ, but still not bright enough for the room it's in. I'm also looking for a 55", and my windows are directly across the TV as well...

Wondering if there are any "matte" screen protectors like they have for the iPhone/iPad etc but for TV's, as I can't really find anyone that truly makes a matte screen nowadays.

Hopefully more people chime in, I'm curious...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know dude, it's really annoying. I have a 52" and if you're watching a movie during the day with the blinds open it's a nightmare as the screen nearly acts as a mirror to everything behind you. I have a Samsung in the other room as well (which used to be in my main room) and never had this problem. I've managed to take everything bright behind the couch and move it to a different location. It's better, much better. But not perfect, there's times where I can even still see the empty wall reflecting.

I can usually control it with getting proper lighting in the room. It is annoying to have a really bright room and trying to watch this thing. It's distracting. Really makes me wonder why they'd even make a screen like that..

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm surprised! The 70" is one of the least reflective TV I have seen on display at Costco.

I feel for you! I have the same reflection problems in my viewing area. My Sony 60EX700 does a splendid job, however it's no longer being manufactured.

You might try to find a 60EX500. It has the same Sharp panel and the same non-reflective screen as mine. It's also discontinued, but I have seen in the owner's thread, it's still available at great discounts. BTW - This TV is highly regarded by most owners and reviewers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck /forum/post/21286298

Take a look at Sony 65" HX929.

Not sure if I can cut n paste from CNET's review, but they show this TV with a glossy screen that does not perform well in bright lighting. It appears that LG, Toshiba and Vizio continue to be mentioned in CNET's reviews as the best performing bright room LCDs.

Bright lighting: The Sony's glossy screen was a liability when bright lights and objects reflected therein; those reflections appeared brighter than on any other set aside from the Panasonic VT30. The Sony did preserve black levels quite well, however, outdoing the others aside from the 909 in this department. As usual, the matte-screened LCDs, from LG and Vizio in our comparison, looked best overall.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1fJlF5DNx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts