AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My roommate recently cracked the screen of my 46" LCD, and is buying me a replacement (not worth a repair - $600).

I'm thinking of downsizing as I will be moving out soon and will be putting this in my bedroom, so a 40-42" is ideal. I haven't really kept up with televisions, but from what I read, here's what I'd like or don't need:

1) 3D - I do not need 3D

2) Refresh rate: I actually haven't seen a 120hz TV before, but I have never noticed any ghosting on my screen, so I'm going to say I don't need 120hz

3) Apps: Don't need these either

4) Energy Star / Green. Preferred! I'd like to save some $$ on my electricity bill =)

5) Reliability is a big plus. Prefer to stay with name brands such as Samsung.

That's about it! Budget is around $600-$700, but of course, lower is better. If a 46" panel is a better bargain, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
That rounds up the best budget LCD TVs in the 40-42 inch class.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
OP...IMO the two front runners would be the Sony EX500 and like Jim said the Sammy C630 and since you are in the bay area I will tell you that Frys, as of yesterday, has a smok'n deal on the Sammy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr
OP...IMO the two front runners would be the Sony EX500 and like Jim said the Sammy C630 and since you are in the bay area I will tell you that Frys, as of yesterday, has a smok'n deal on the Sammy.
Is that this at $499 + tax? http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...120Hz-LCD-HDTV

Know what other TVs they're selling? I may be interested in a 46" after all....

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
The 40C630 is indeed a fine TV, and tops on the list of budget TVs. However for gaming others are better.

Sony 40EX400 onsale now at Walmart, is a top choice for the gamer or non gamer.

LG 42LD450 is also a top choice for the gamer or non gamer and is onsale at Amazon.

Sharp Aquos likewise and is onsale at Sears.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity
The 40C630 is indeed a fine TV, and tops on the list of budget TVs. However for gaming others are better.

Sony 40EX400 onsale now at Walmart, is a top choice for the gamer or non gamer.

LG 42LD450 is also a top choice for the gamer or non gamer and is onsale at Amazon.

Sharp Aquos likewise and is onsale at Sears.
Thanks for the info! I just discovered the 40EX400 - it seems like a good contender to the 40C630.

I can get the 46EX400 from Amazon for $700 (no tax) - seems like a good deal. Again, no bells or whistles, and it's 60hz, but it seems like a good performing, reliable set for the money.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Yeah Amazon is Price Matching Walmart on that 46EX400, I believe. Walmart has them onsale as well.

Here is a in depth review of the 40EX400 on TelevisionInfo.com .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts