·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around and it seems to come down to a few units:

1. Onkyo TX-SR308

2. Denon AVR-391

3. Pioneer VSX-820-K

I'm sure I'm missing a couple so any input is appreciated.

Ill have a Blu-Ray, Xbox, and Apple TV hooked-up. I'm not an audiophile but I've been told I shouldn't get a HTIB. I'm a movie watcher who enjoys the casual game.

Cheers.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

speakers?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Do all those receivers playback HDMI audio? I ask because some budget receivers made in the past could only swich HDMI. Hopefully that's now a historical situation. Also, I noted with Yamaha's RX-V367, that it could not decode HD audio. This is not a big deal because either the player can do the decoding, or you can live with lossy which is very good. But I thought I would point it out, at that budget level, it's a possibility.

If all devices are connected with HDMI, you won't have to worry about analog to HDMI conversion, which would not usually be available at this price point.

Best deals can be had by buying last year's models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj
^^^

speakers?
I've yet to look into those. Is that what I should start with? I'd imagine a decent 5.1 set for sub $300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
Do all those receivers playback HDMI audio? I ask because some budget receivers made in the past could only swich HDMI. Hopefully that's now a historical situation.
I believe they all have playback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They all play hdmi audio.

They are all fairly similar. But notice that none of them includes upconversion. If most of your sources uses hdmi or you don't mind extra cables, that's an non-issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexium
They all play hdmi audio.

They are all fairly similar. But notice that none of them includes upconversion. If most of your sources uses hdmi or you don't mind extra cables, that's an non-issue.
Everything will be HDMI.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.