AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be in a new home in a few months and looking for some budget(under $200 ea) in-ceiling, in-wall,or satellite speakers that are able to be crossed over at 80hz for my surrounds. I currently have Ascend acoustic raal towers and their duo center with (4) Noble fidelity speakers surrounds from my old house and thought I may reused for atoms to save some money. They sound fine but I kind of want a change. If they are satellite speakers I need them to have high WAF. I was really considering the ascend acoustic HTM-200(ugly, low WAF) as they are the same brand as my front three. Also considered the Luna for a second but way out of my budget. I looked into RSL for a bit but nothing they had that matched my criteria was able to be crossed at 80hz. I also looked into the diy Volt speakers which seem very good, but slightly too big. Any other recommendations or help would be appreciated! Thank you and stay safe!

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
No help.....? Come on now. We all are locked in our house, so we should have more time. No? 馃槈

Registered
I'll be in a new home in a few months and looking for some budget(under $200 ea) in-ceiling, in-wall,or satellite speakers that are able to be crossed over at 80hz for my surrounds. I currently have (4) Noble fidelity speakers from my old house and thought I may reused for atoms to save some money. They sound fine but I kind of want a change. If they are satellite speakers I need them to have high WAF. I was really considering the ascend acoustic HTM-200(ugly, low WAF) as they are the same brand as my front three. Also considered the Luna for a second but way out of my budget. I looked into RSL for a bit but nothing they had that matched my criteria was able to be crossed at 80hz. I also looked into the diy Volt speakers which seem very good, but slightly too big. Any other recommendations or help would be appreciated! Thank you and stay safe!
Ascend 200SE would be the best for the critical front 3, but if you must have higher WAF, there's the NHT C-1 (on sale for $139 ea. on Amazon).

For your rear surrounds, anything will be fine, they only do a lousy 5-15% of the HT output.

Reactions: panasonicst60

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll be in a new home in a few months and looking for some budget(under $200 ea) in-ceiling, in-wall,or satellite speakers that are able to be crossed over at 80hz for my surrounds. I currently have (4) Noble fidelity speakers from my old house and thought I may reused for atoms to save some money. They sound fine but I kind of want a change. If they are satellite speakers I need them to have high WAF. I was really considering the ascend acoustic HTM-200(ugly, low WAF) as they are the same brand as my front three. Also considered the Luna for a second but way out of my budget. I looked into RSL for a bit but nothing they had that matched my criteria was able to be crossed at 80hz. I also looked into the diy Volt speakers which seem very good, but slightly too big. Any other recommendations or help would be appreciated! Thank you and stay safe!
Ascend 200SE would be the best for the critical front 3, but if you must have higher WAF, there's the NHT C-1 (on sale for $139 ea. on Amazon).

For your rear surrounds, anything will be fine, they only do a lousy 5-15% of the HT output.
Maybe I wasn't 100% clear but I already have the front three speakers already which are ascend acoustics raal towers and their new raal center channel. All I need recommendations are for the surround backs and Atmos speakers.

Registered
Maybe I wasn't 100% clear but I already have the front three speakers already which are ascend acoustics raal towers and their new raal center channel. All I need recommendations are for the surround Atmos speaker.
No, you never mentioned having an Ascend RAAL front stage. Very enviable!

So if you just need rear surrounds (they will either be bed-layer surrounds OR Atmos speakers which are either mounted in/on-ceiling or high on the wall just under the ceiling) then I'd just go with the 200SE. They look much nicer than on the Ascend website...plain, but certainly not fugly IMO.

Or the NHT C1 or O2 in black (outdoor speakers can always be used indoors esp. as surrounds):
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-O2-ARC-Performance-Outdoor-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GY0UD52/

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe I wasn't 100% clear but I already have the front three speakers already which are ascend acoustics raal towers and their new raal center channel. All I need recommendations are for the surround Atmos speaker.
No, you never mentioned having an Ascend RAAL front stage. Very enviable!

So if you just need rear surrounds (they will either be bed-layer surrounds OR Atmos speakers which are either mounted in/on-ceiling or high on the wall just under the ceiling) then I'd just go with the 200SE. They look much nicer than on the Ascend website...plain, but certainly not fugly IMO.

Or the NHT C1 or O2 in black (outdoor speakers can always be used indoors esp. as surrounds):
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-O2-ARC-Performance-Outdoor-Loudspeaker/dp/B00GY0UD52/
Nice I will look into this!

Update: Just looked at some of the recommendations and they are a bit too big. On second thought maybe the Apex A10AV12 would work...but the price..

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
What about some good in-walls? It's really hard find good in-walls on a budget as there are no reviews.

Registered

Update: Just looked at some of the recommendations and they are a bit too big. On second thought maybe the Apex A10AV12 would work...but the price..
Small speakers just can't get you to a 80 Hz crossover. If you were able to cross over at 120, or better 150, your options would be increased and the speaker size decreased.

What about some good in-walls? It's really hard find good in-walls on a budget as there are no reviews.
In-walls have their own set of issues, including sound transmission between rooms (the back wave is just as loud as the front wave), inability to toe-in for good room coverage, inability to change the position of any speaker once installed.

This might be one option: https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/speakers/ceiling/angled/90w-6-5-inch-trimless-in-ceiling-lcr-speaker-single-ace670.html

Here's another: https://www.htd.com/HDX-R65AIM

This is all based on your requirement of an 80Hz crossover. Is that really necessary? If you can cross over your fronts at 80, is it so important that the other speakers are crossed over there, too? What sub(s) are you using?

Registered
Budget and good inwalls don't normally go together but what about the HSU In-walls? Might they work?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

Small speakers just can't get you to a 80 Hz crossover. If you were able to cross over at 120, or better 150, your options would be increased and the speaker size decreased.

In-walls have their own set of issues, including sound transmission between rooms (the back wave is just as loud as the front wave), inability to toe-in for good room coverage, inability to change the position of any speaker once installed.

This is all based on your requirement of an 80Hz crossover. Is that really necessary? If you can cross over your fronts at 80, is it so important that the other speakers are crossed over there, too? What sub(s) are you using?
I do know that the smaller the speakers the higher I need to cross them over. Maybe I'm just and denial sometimes..

80 hz crossover is just a pet peeve of mine.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Budget and good inwalls don't normally go together but what about the HSU In-walls? Might they work?
Looks good. Do you have them? If so how's the sound quality? Of not any reputable reviews?

Registered
Looks good. Do you have them? If so how's the sound quality? Of not any reputable reviews?

No, I don't have them. I was going to get them for use as surrounds in my system, but I had budget issues so one of the cuts I made was to go Monoprice instead. My thought was that I would replace the Monoprice with the HSU's at some point when I got more funding allocated by the boss (wife).

Reactions: panasonicst60

Registered
Discussion Starter #15

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Look here:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkonwall/speakers/on-wall-speakers/1.html?brand_f[]=FOCAL&brand_f[]=CANTON

Bear in mind that the return policies of this site are rather draconian, read it before ordering. That said, you won't get these kind of deals elsewhere. There are a number of speakers in this list that will do what you want ....
Yes that's what I'm looking for. Thank you. I was looking at the Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 before I seen your post. A lot more options now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts