AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dads work truck door speakers went out. Apparently, there is a design flaw that allows water to get behind them and ruins them. I plan to get him some baffles to protect the back side of the speaker and hopefully avoid this. My question is which speaker should I get him?

WOrk doesn't deem this as necessary, so it's up to us and he loves music (created some music over the years on his Yamaha motif). However, this is a work truck and could be taken away at any time for a newer one. Therefore, we don't want any more money than necessary involved. I figured Crutchfield will include all the stuff we need free, so that's where I am shopping. It's a 2011 Chevrolet single cab with the lowest level speaker(work is cheap!).

On Crutchfield there are 5 options for $40. A Kenwood KFC-1665S, Memphis Audio 15-SRX62, MTX Terminator653, Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3, Sound Ordnance™ P-67B. I have always been a fan of Kenwood, but I also normally go for a higher end Kenwood. I don't know how that one compares to the rest, but I did notice it goes a lot lower on the freq range and has a cloth surround. Is cloth better or worse?

This will be the main source of audio, so it needs to have the best full range it can off a factory radio. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So my dads work truck door speakers went out. Apparently, there is a design flaw that allows water to get behind them and ruins them. I plan to get him some baffles to protect the back side of the speaker and hopefully avoid this. My question is which speaker should I get him?

WOrk doesn't deem this as necessary, so it's up to us and he loves music (created some music over the years on his Yamaha motif). However, this is a work truck and could be taken away at any time for a newer one. Therefore, we don't want any more money than necessary involved. I figured Crutchfield will include all the stuff we need free, so that's where I am shopping. It's a 2011 Chevrolet single cab with the lowest level speaker(work is cheap!).

On Crutchfield there are 5 options for $40. A Kenwood KFC-1665S, Memphis Audio 15-SRX62, MTX Terminator653, Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3, Sound Ordnance™ P-67B. I have always been a fan of Kenwood, but I also normally go for a higher end Kenwood. I don't know how that one compares to the rest, but I did notice it goes a lot lower on the freq range and has a cloth surround. Is cloth better or worse?

This will be the main source of audio, so it needs to have the best full range it can off a factory radio. Any thoughts?
Durability-wise, cloth is inferior. It tends to not last as long as the other options. Although some have argued that sound comes out better with cloth surround (I haven't noticed a difference).

Good quality with full range at that price category is sadly very difficult to come by. If your budget is allowed to increase by $10-$20, you'll have better luck finding better quality products. However, I do understand seeing it's a company vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look at marine speakers. Any suggestions?

I also found these JBL speakers refurbished and half priced at 50, JBL GX602. Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts