AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A request was made of me to come up with a good front projector for under $5000. Since I own a JVC G11 DILA :D for my HT system and am not real familiar with the present crop of LCD and DLP projectors, I figured I’d get some expert advise from this great forum. :)

My first thought was a DLP. From what I have read in this forum, the pixel structure is less obvious than the LCD. The projector will be used in a semi-dark room, primarily hooked up to a laptop computer. It will be used for Excel, Power Point and possibly WEB development material so there isn’t really any need for an external line multiplier/processor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use an NEC LT150 for business and an LT154 for home use. I load my presentations into the compact flash card just cary in the projector. I have yet to be to a meeting where people dont ask where the computer is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was very much ready to recommend the LT150 until on further investigation, it appears not to have zoom capabilities. I feel a zoom is very important in a presentation environment. Does NEC make a comparable projector with a zoom?

Don

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For presentation 2 things are important: Lumens and Zoom.

Most presentation environment is brightly lit so you'd need a bright PJ to show images well. I'd vote for Infocus LP530 with 2000 lumens DLP and can be had for 4K when Dell has its 20% special (5K retail). It's has good deinterlacer/scaler so it's video ready (if you buy the optional video module you'd get Svideo and composite inputs otherwise it's just VGA).

LCD versions should include Sanyo XP18N for $4K with 2000 lumens.

Both of these units mentioned have zoom to vary your image to fit PJ screen or wall.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help.

I thought I had some time to get a list of projectors, NOT!!. :( The person I was trying to help had seen the Sony VPLCX1, LCD projector and was leaning toward the newer CX2. I also made a recommendation for the Sanyo PLC-XU30, LCD as it has 1400 lumens, zoom, XGA etc. I was trying to keep the weight down also. Most of the high lumen units are in the neighborhood of 8.5+ pounds.

Agian thanks for your responses.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.