AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bbuy extended warranty for my tv and found out that during the first year of the plan .


BBUY will pick up the tv for repair depending on what part it need it might take a week or two for service and then bring it back. That sucks this is defeating thew purpose of inhome service where tech comes home with the part.


Should I return the service plan as this doesn't make any sense
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/16846493


I bought the bbuy extended warranty for my tv and found out that during the first year of the plan .


BBUY will pick up the tv for repair depending on what part it need it might take a week or two for service and then bring it back. That sucks this is defeating thew purpose of inhome service where tech comes home with the part.


Should I return the service plan as this doesn't make any sense


First of all you could have contacted Panasonic, if it was still under warranty, and seen what they would do first. It doesn't make any sense to cancel the EW because of the mode of repair. It depends on what is wrong and the best way to repair it. All repairs can't be done in the home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Is your unit too big for you to bring in yourself? What does the man. warranty cover and for how long? How long is the BB warranty? What did you pay for the warranty? Personally, I consider after-market warranties a waste of money. Return the warranty and take someone special out to a nice dinner.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalito /forum/post/16846530


is your unit too big for you to bring in yourself? What does the man. Warranty cover and for how long? How long is the bb warranty? What did you pay for the warranty? Personally, i consider after-market warranties a waste of money. Return the warranty and take someone special out to a nice dinner.


lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/16846493


I bought the bbuy extended warranty for my tv and found out that during the first year of the plan .


BBUY will pick up the tv for repair depending on what part it need it might take a week or two for service and then bring it back. That sucks this is defeating thew purpose of inhome service where tech comes home with the part.


Should I return the service plan as this doesn't make any sense

Have you not read any of the various extended warranty threads here?


You should consider returning the BB extended warranty but even if you keep it, you should always contact your TV's manufacturer if the TV develops a problem during the factory warranty period. If you use BB's warranty and they end up having to replace the TV, the tricky bastards will consider the warranty as fulfilled and it will be immediately canceled when you get your replacement TV. It does not carry over to the replacement TV, so leave BB out of it while the TV is still under the factory warranty. They also reserve the right to replace your TV with whatever they feel is similar to your original TV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/16846622


Yes tv is too big for me to carry its 50". I price for bb ew was same as squaretrade's . I paid $259 for 4 yrs.

I think you can get a Mack for about half that price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16846620


Have you not read any of the various extended warranty threads here?


You should consider returning the BB extended warranty but even if you keep it, you should always contact your TV's manufacturer if the TV develops a problem during the factory warranty period. If you use BB's warranty and they end up having to replace the TV, the tricky bastards will consider the warranty as fulfilled and it will be immediately canceled when you get your replacement TV. It does not carry over to the replacement TV, so leave BB out of it while the TV is still under the factory warranty. They also reserve the right to replace your TV with whatever they feel is similar to your original TV.

The warranty doesn't carry over if they replace yor TV? WTF?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/16847010


The warranty doesn't carry over if they replace yor TV? WTF?

No other extended warranties will carry over after they replace a set. This is not just BB, Mack and CPS are they same way it's pretty much standard for all extended warranties. You have to remembers, they really are not the same thing as a manufactures factory warranty that only will end after a certain time limit no matter how many repairs or replacements they may have to do. All they really are is a extended service contract, and that like any contract, also has a certain set of rules and limitations to what they will or will not cover or do in regards to repair or replacements. And one of them is, is that a replacement fufills and also ends the contract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16846808


I think you can get a Mack for about half that price.

Mack also doesn't guarantee that all repairs will be done in-home, at least according to their rep that I got on the phone. And they don't have a replacement policy at all with the standard coverage, again according to this rep. Nor do they have a loaner policy. So you can end up out of a TV more often than you have one with their policy, which also doesn't cover surge protection (the single most likely problem I'll have in my area). I haven't used Mack for plasma but I have them for my cameras and the soonest they have ever turned over a repair was 8 weeks, the longer over 20 weeks.


I'm not trying to talk anyone out of Mack. I'm just saying its overly simplistic to bash the BB warranty as if the others are perfect. They are different. Also, contrary to your previous post, the people I've known who've had their set replaced didn't have a model forced on them by Best Buy. If the exact model they didn't buy was available, they got to pick the model they wanted up to their original purchase price. One poster on another topic here said they went even further for him, upgrading them from the Panasonic G, which was in the price raneg of his previous set, to a V series simply because they had inventory on the V right then.


I am not a huge fan of BB actually. But I will say their return policy is way better than virtually anyone else (except Costco, Sam's Club and a few others) and their EW has some benefits over the other warranties. Price is definitely not one of them. Everyone will have different priorities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/16846493


I bought the bbuy extended warranty for my tv and found out that during the first year of the plan .


BBUY will pick up the tv for repair depending on what part it need it might take a week or two for service and then bring it back. That sucks this is defeating thew purpose of inhome service where tech comes home with the part.


Should I return the service plan as this doesn't make any sense

Depends on the size of the set and the type of part. Most of the time, the service will be in-home. Did you get the coverage that allow you to get a loaner while they take it out to repair?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16846620


Have you not read any of the various extended warranty threads here?


You should consider returning the BB extended warranty but even if you keep it, you should always contact your TV's manufacturer if the TV develops a problem during the factory warranty period. If you use BB's warranty and they end up having to replace the TV, the tricky bastards will consider the warranty as fulfilled and it will be immediately canceled when you get your replacement TV. It does not carry over to the replacement TV, so leave BB out of it while the TV is still under the factory warranty. They also reserve the right to replace your TV with whatever they feel is similar to your original TV.

How is getting a free replacement-and-the-plan-is-considered satisfied tricky? What business would continue the same coverage with the new set given the outlay they just had to make to provide that new tv??


Noone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16846808


I think you can get a Mack for about half that price.

Check to make sure the coverage is the same. It may not be apples-to-apples.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano /forum/post/16847010


The warranty doesn't carry over if they replace yor TV? WTF?

Whose does? Think about the economics of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/16854075


No other extended warranties will carry over after they replace a set. This is not just BB, Mack and CPS are they same way it's pretty much standard for all extended warranties. You have to remembers, they really are not the same thing as a manufactures factory warranty that only will end after a certain time limit no matter how many repairs or replacements they may have to do. All they really are is a extended service contract, and that like any contract, also has a certain set of rules and limitations to what they will or will not cover or do in regards to repair or replacements. And one of them is, is that a replacement fufills and also ends the contract.

I did not know this. i thought you get unlimited service until the warranty is up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
I am pretty curious about this too, if the warranty didnt transfer over to the replacement set that would be pointless in my opinion.


on another note, has anyone read bestbuy's "G. Exclusions to Coverage." part of the return policy? its hillarious! some of my favorites:


"this plan does not cover...


terrorism,

Acts of God or other external causes

Xbox 360 due to Microsoft's "Red Ring of Death"

damage due to contact with any human or animal bodily fluids (eww?)

"


I guess they have to put it all in writing, otherwise who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 /forum/post/16855027


I am pretty curious about this too, if the warranty didnt transfer over to the replacement set that would be pointless in my opinion.


on another note, has anyone read bestbuy's "G. Exclusions to Coverage." part of the return policy? its hillarious! some of my favorites:


"this plan does not cover...


terrorism,

Acts of God or other external causes

Xbox 360 due to Microsoft's "Red Ring of Death"

damage due to contact with any human or animal bodily fluids (eww?)

"


I guess they have to put it all in writing, otherwise who knows

Pointless why? You got a new tv for the few hundred you spent on the plan!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
your right, maybe it isnt pointless but it is missleading. Its not so much pay $260 for a 4 year coverage plan, its pay $260 for 4 years, or until your tv dies and we replace it.


Then just pray the replacement doesnt break 2 months later...
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top