AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stopped by the Best Buy store in San Carlos, CA on my way home from work.

They have the RCA 38" Widescreen HDTV direct view set on display. In the past, they have had it hooked up to a low quality coaxial connection & the picture looked terrible.

I was surprised to find that it is now hooked to a coax cable carrying their HD demo loop on a digital channel (15-3). It was a true HDTV picture, in 16:9. Not only did it have their demo, but it also had all of the local OTA channels available.

As I was switching channels, one of the sales guys stopped by & said that I wouldn't be able to pick up anything. But, he was stopped in mid sentence, as I showed him CBS & PBS in digital. Hopefully he'll clue the other salespeople in, so they can show the customers what's available.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Alas http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

In contrast to what you, I and everyone else here hope for,the kid will keep newly acquired knowledge to himself, or will forget it altogether tomorrow morning.

Just like I wrote before, @ this point FCC should require

5Cs to place a disclaimer on all NTSC-only/low-rez sets.

Something to the effect of:

"Attention! This set is NOT capable of displaying High Definition Signal in its full glory. Before you spent

$2K of your hard earned money on non-HDTV set, please consider HDTV-enabled sets, the "Way of the Future!"

I'd imagine that about 85% of potential big-size RPTV buyers are not aware of HDTV and won't happy to figure

out they've spent their money on mediocre and de-facto obsolete hardware.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Recently an additional Best Buy opened in a nearby town and the one entire wall is dedicated to high def with a techs hired to keep the sets tuned in properly. The sales force responsible for selling these sets are now being put thru more intensive training to school them on this format. Certainly a great step up for this chain to make since they are wide spread and gaining popularity.

------------------

hermithill

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was so amused when I went into stores like Best Buy or Circuit City in my area when I went to look at HDTV sets. The reason they aren't selling quicker is because the sales people are very inexperienced, and the demo models suck! They are never calibrated correctly, and if you are lucky they "might" have something with HDTV running.

I was almost tempted to get a part time job at a Best Buy, just so that I could positively push HDTV! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

James

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
At the West Palm Beach, FL Best Buy they have six 16:9 HDTVs on display. Three are being fed the DirecTV HDTV demo loop in HD. The other three appear to be being fed the demo loop as 4:3/480i which is then stretched to fill the 16:9 screen.

They are displaying some real HDTV pix at the Circuit City in West Palm on all their HDTVs. But when I last visited the Circuit City in Boynton Beach all sets carried DVD.

The Costco at Lake Park has a dish HD demo loop on a 16:9 HDTV. The Costco at Lantana has the same set with a DVD player feeding it.

Sound Advice-owned Electronic Interiors at The Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens has DVD video on all of it's HDTVs whenever I go in there. The Sears at the same mall switched from DVD to an HD source some weeks ago.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i refuse to go into best buy and talk with some 19 year kid with the extent of his knowledge going no further than saying "it's widescreen, dvd's look better on it."

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Complaining about BB and CC is like preaching to the choir. I really want to know more about that great animated picute on ADebar's posting. Unlike BB and CC that picture jumping around is pretty darn neat. Art

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Best Buy has indeed improved their HDTV demos and their staff's knowledge at the store near me in Porter Ranch.

However, I saw a great HDTV ad from Sears on television so I dropped by the Sears in the Northridge Mall. They had a Sony 61300 for sale for $7999 (the 61300 is the predecessor to the 61310 widely available for $3499). The TV was playing standard definition letterboxed. There was no 6000 receiver to be seen and the price on the shelf for the 6000 was covered.

I wonder how many people saw the ad on TV, came in, and were disapointed with HDTV.

Rick

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Lloyd:

Complaining about BB and CC is like preaching to the choir. I really want to know more about that great animated picute on ADebar's posting. Unlike BB and CC that picture jumping around is pretty darn neat. Art
lol. its Steve Irwin from the Crocodile Hunter http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif you like how he is displaying how those naughty snakes snap at his face? i love it.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was in a Tweeter store (formerly United Audio, Chicago) and they had a Sony HDTV set connected to a rooftop antenna, to the analog input. The image was NTSC, full of snow and ghost images. Every now and then the picture would roll vertically. It was an unbelievably bad display of a fine product.

It was so bad, I thought it must be deliberate. Maybe the retailer wanted to push some other product with a higher commission.

In my humble opinion, the main reason for slow adoption of HDTV is not the government, not the broadcasters, not the MPAA, but the retailers. Why would Joe or Jane Average spend $3500 on a TV set, for gosh sakes, if he (or she) had not had his (or her) socks (or stockings) blown off by a terrific HD display? The answer is, they won't. Until you SEE it, you have no idea what it's all about. Actually it was less than 6 months ago that I saw true HDTV, and since then I have spent, shall we say, quite a few bucks on it!

Until the Circuit Citys and Best Buys of the world consistently show HD as it should be shown, this whole concept will go nowhere. The retailers are shooting us all in the foot (feet ?).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think Mike pretty much wrapped this thread up. good job.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mike. . .

One last thing. If you want a suprise, go downtown

Chicago to Sony's Main Display and take a look at their

products in a company store. That will blow you away.

I drove from St. Louis to Chicago loop to see their display

and it was not, I repeat not, HDTV. (last year - interested in a Sony Dealership) Not even a sencore feed. Had to fly to Vega to CESI to see it. Go figure?

Hummer

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup.. That was pretty much my point in posting this.. As long as I have been checking, Best Buy and most of the other retailers have sucked at showing their HDTV's.

It's nice to finally have one major retailer a source capable of running the HDTV's at something close to their potential.

Hopefully, it will help to get some of the other retailers going. Nothing gets 'em going like being shown up by their competitors.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I did my usual "every other Friday lunch time visit" to Best Buy and Circuit City in Puente Hills, CA. to check out the HD displays. These stores are right next to one another, making comparisons easy. Results? As usual, NO HD displays at BB despite 18 to 20 projection and direct view sets in operation, many of them HD capable. But, next door at CC, several new direct view sets (Panasonic and and RCA's new 16x9 direct view set) were tuned to the DTV Channel 199 HD demo. So were two rear projection sets. Overall, CC's efforts were far better than BB, not only demonstrating HD, but putting these displays in the most visually prominent area of the show floor. Several people were standing around gaping at the HD material on these displays....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thoreau, I think it was, said, "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by ignorance."

In the world of HDTV, I take that to mean, there is no vast conspiracy to stop HDTV. There's just too much stupidity out there. No conspiracy is necessary. The average C.C. or B.B. manager is totally unaware that HD signals are out there and they should be connected to those funny looking, wide shaped TVs. The most pressing issue to him (or her) is that a truckload of refrigerators has just been delivered and there's no space to put them in the warehouse. In this forum we're concerned about 720p and SMPTE colors and does D-ILA have a better contrast ratio than DLP, or vice versa. We are in two different worlds.

Education is needed here, big time, and it's going to take quite a while. As a start, invite 3 of your rich friends over, give each of them a beer, and show them CSI or HBO in HD. Watch them get excited. Then wait 3 years.

It'll be slow but it will happen.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
another stellar post by mike. great job.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
756 Posts
As a manager of a retail store, I can tell you from experience that the reason BB and CC managers aren't displaying these sets properly is the upper management is a step behind the times. If the managers were told to display HD sets in a certain manner, they would.

It's astonishing their highest ticket items are not displayed as attractively as possible. We're talking profits ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per set.

Here in Boston, these stores could show OTA HD practically every evening. They could record OTA transmissions and show them all day, if they wanted to.

Hooking up a progressive scan DVD to all their display sets wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

It's just an example of top management of companies doing business as usual, thinking "We know what we're doing", when they are, in fact, losing potentially millions in sales even this early in the HD game.

The company that does the best of displaying HD sets, including adjusting the sets, showing HD whenever possible, calibrating, etc., will be the big winner. People will remember where they saw those displays and go back.

The price gap between high-end analog and low-end HD is narrowing quickly. I would think it wouldn't take much to get someone to take one step up to HD if they were considering top-end analog, if the obvious quality difference could be seen on the sales floor.

At this point, let's be happy at least some stores are making the effort.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jeff, thanks for your post. I think this is an important topic, because the mainstream consumer won't see any HDTV if they don't see it in the retail stores.

So let me ask, does the store manager have to wait to be directed by the suits in upper management? Would it take a top management directive to say that HDTVs should be connected to HDTV signals, or at least progressive DVDs? Or could an enlightened store manager take the initiative? This is a sincere question. It just seems that it wouldn't be expensive to install a couple of tuners and connect the right cables.

But maybe you're right and upper management needs to get involved first. If so, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that a few strategically placed Emails to BB and CC upper management potentially could accelerate adoption of HDTV. The bad news is that, if upper management is unaware that they should sell more high profit items instead of low profit items, then the education problem is worse than I thought. We'll have to educate them not only about HDTV, but also Business School 101.

Another question, as store manager you would know, are there different incentives and commissions that influence the sales person to sell one brand versus another? If so, are those incentives influencing the stores NOT to sell HDTV?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here in Albuquerque, the excellent displays of HDTV in Ultmate electronics a year and a half ago caused me to buy a digitial set in December of 99. No small wonder they announced a big increase in their sales of TV's this year attributed to digintal tv. Best buy and Circuit city are only now beginning to catch up. Anyone who says the business world can do the best job at anything is crazy. If I owned stock in BB or CC I would be crying for the resignation of the CEO's.

Horton

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.