AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/12918493

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/24/...uing-80gb-ps3/

"This means that there currently isn't a version that is PS2 compatible," the memo highlights. Sony's making some serious changes to its hardware line-up soon.

so no more BC at all for ps3 if true.

They are still selling the Ps2 fairly well. Maybe they shouldnt have had BC in the first place?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme /forum/post/12918764

They need to get their $hit together.

Agreed. My dad picked up an 80gb last night, probably a wise move.

I still think taking out BC is a mistake. I don't know what the sales figures were during Christmas, maybe 40gb outsold 80gb 10:1 and it proved without a doubt people don't care but I think if it did Sony would be shouting it from the rooftops (like they did with the 60gb vs. 20gb last year). I think they know BC is popular but are trying to deep-six it quietly in the hopes people forget about it come December.

The PlayStation brand was supposed to be about upgrading your consoles and keeping your library playable on the new system. That was a point Sony execs made loud and clear for over a decade. Now they just scoff and say, "yea if you wanna play ps2 just buy a ps2!". **** you Sony.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
maybe they can do software emulation on the graphics chip as well and bring software emulation to all future units... who knows... I am happy with my 60G launch unit... lets just hope it is as resilient as my original PS2 was.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
There's a big thread here somewhere explaining why Sony may still add BC to the 40gb by doing complete software emulation of PS2 games like MS does with XBox games. So fear not, BC may not be dead yet.

·
Registered
715 Posts
BC, If they have to dump it to do what they have to do $$$$$ wize then dump away. If you have this great PS2 library your worried about playing you probably have a PS2 or 3 laying around as well. I do use the PS3 for PS2 games but very rarely. Matter of fact I just bought a new white PS2, that will make my 6th one I own. (2 are dead)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch /forum/post/12919947

There's a big thread here somewhere explaining why Sony may still add BC to the 40gb by doing complete software emulation of PS2 games like MS does with XBox games. So fear not, BC may not be dead yet.

There's no doubt they are working on it but it's a pipe dream at this point. Have you looked at the 80gb BC list recently? The thing is a mess. And that is with a PS2 GPU (GS) on the motherboard. And Microsoft's solution is quite spotty, still missing several much loved games (Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Gladius to name two) and kind of crummy for several more (PGR2).

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/12921635

There's no doubt they are working on it but it's a pipe dream at this point. Have you looked at the 80gb BC list recently? The thing is a mess. And that is with a PS2 GPU (GS) on the motherboard. And Microsoft's solution is quite spotty, still missing several much loved games (Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Gladius to name two) and kind of crummy for several more (PGR2).

Not to mention Dora the Explorer /Purple planet and Shamu's Deep Sea Adventures. Come on if you REALLY NEED to play all these other games just hook up the other boxes somewhere.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/12921635

Gladius really? Stranger's Wrath? Good games sure (well not so much Gladius JMO) but neither sold very well in the first place and how many people are honestly going back to replay Gladius and Stranger's Wrath? You're really diggin here if those are your examples. Fact is MS has, for the most part, put together a nice list that is backwards compatible with a large majority of the XBox's bestsellers and most popular games. O and I don't think it's a pipe dream either, I'm well aware of what the 80gb BC list looks like, it's compatible with 90% of all PS2 games with little or no issues. Sony is more than likely going to take MS's approach and allow for full software emulation so people with the discs can play them in their PS3s and more importantly they can start selling PS2 games over the PSN like MS now does with XBox games over Live.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sadly bc costs them alot of money to include and that along with bluray are 2 reasons why the ps3 can't compete .

When they were talking about nearing the $400 cost to produce the system they were talking about the 40 gig verisons . the bc versions can add over $50 to the cost of the system. they know they need to get costs down and deliver a product at a reasonable price because as its stands the 360 is still the better value to the gamer.

I wouldn't be suprised if that $300 rumor is true and we see a new console next week at this new price point.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd /forum/post/12927111

I wouldn't be suprised if that $300 rumor is true and we see a new console next week at this new price point.

I disagree. I'm a gamer and Bluray was just an added bonus to me, but for the 360 I'd have to buy a Wifi adapter which right there already makes it $120 more and more costly than my PS3 that includes a HD video player and Wifi.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd /forum/post/12927111

My guess would be that we'll see a new price for the 40g version of $299 on or around April 27th. Precisely 2 days before Grand Theft Auto IV is released.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom /forum/post/12927353

I disagree. I'm a gamer and Bluray was just an added bonus to me, but for the 360 I'd have to buy a Wifi adapter which right there already makes it $120 more and more costly than my PS3 that includes a HD video player and Wifi.

People keep assuming that you need the 100 dollar official adapter for wifi. a 40 dollar ethernet bridge works just fine. Plus for many of the 360's media center uses wifi can be a hassle.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/12927436

People keep assuming that you need the 1000 dollar official adapter for wifi. a 40 dollar ethernet bridge works just fine. Plus for many of the 360's media center uses wifi can be a hassle.

I stream HD video to my PS3 wirelessly without a problem out of the box, no hassle.

Also, I don't have room in my setup for a bridge. I have an open concept media stand where my systems are almost completely out in the open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts