AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new 101fd kuro (i know, i am a broken record) and i was wondering whether or not to get the best buy protection plan. The one i was looking at was 4 years and about $500, but it had one nice clause: if it isnt used, then i get a complete refund of it in store credit. I think the store credit clause makes it worth it, but any other thoughts?

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
Most prefer Mack EWs to BB. Check whether it's 4 years from date of purchase, or 4 years from after the Kuro regular warranty.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18157404

The one i was looking at was 4 years and about $500, but it had one nice clause: if it isnt used, then i get a complete refund of it in store credit.

are you sure about out this!! have not heard such a thing about best Buy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
be wary of that, lots of times the employees who push those service plans have no idea what they entail. That sounds a little funny to me, I don't think your insurance company will give you back your payment if nothing happens throughout the year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i thought, but if its true it really sounds like a great deal

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:

I am getting a new 101fd kuro (i know, i am a broken record) and i was wondering whether or not to get the best buy protection plan. The one i was looking at was 4 years and about $500, but it had one nice clause: if it isnt used, then i get a complete refund of it in store credit. I think the store credit clause makes it worth it, but any other thoughts?

sorry man..I work there...you most certainly do not get all your money back...if you are a reward zone member you will get a percentage of what you spent back if you do not use it...think 7-11% of total service plan cost...however it covers everything but physical abuse and water damage...so if anything goes wrong we send someone to try and fix it...if they can't or it's deemed to expensive to fix they buy you a comparable tv...private message me if you'd like and I'll give my work email to clear any concerns

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah you definitely need to get some documentation on that

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:

Do you have a link to the terms of this BB warranty?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is the real deal: if standard plan goes unused, customer can get double reward zone points. If premium plan goes unused, get triple reward zone points.

Well taht sucks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha...truth. The guy tried to tell me that the only hdmi cables he uses are 200 dollar ones. He also tried to tell me that gold is the best conducting metal

·
Registered
218 Posts
All said, if you are spending 3K-5k on a tv. It is a good idea to get an extended warranty.

Previously I had bought a dvd recorder and PS3 with extended warranty and when they went bad, they just gave me full store credit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the mack and best buy warranties seem to be pretty even, all things considered.

any other great extended warranties for me to consider?

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travon802 /forum/post/18158011

It is 4 years from the date of purchase. The one thing that makes their warranty worth it is the burn-in coverage which Mack does not cover..

Our 3 year extended warranty would start after the manufacturers warranty ends.

In this case Pioneer Elite comes with a 2 year manufacturers warranty so our plan would give you a total of 5 years.

As far as burn in coverage goes. At this point with the technological advancements in Plasma televisions the only way you would get burn in is by misuse of the TV( pausing a movie for hours and hours, leaving cnn on for 10 hours straight) as long as you take care of your TV then you wouldnt get burn in.

Thank You,

Dave

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good to know...thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF /forum/post/18157660

here we go (damn best buy staff almost really f***d me over

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/co...05&menu_id=495

Here's an excerpt from their terms. Looks like the salesman flat out lied to you about the full refund if you don't use the warranty after four years:

"This Plan can be canceled by you at

any time for any reason by sending a notice of

cancellation to us. If you cancel within thirty (30)

days of your Plan's purchase or receipt of this

Plan, whichever occurs later, you will receive a

full refund of the price paid for the Plan less the

value of any service provided to you under this

Plan. If you cancel more than thirty (30) days

after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a

pro rata refund of the price you paid for the Plan

based on the percentage of the Plan's unexpired

term, less the cost of any service provided."

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
knew they were just spouting off...that would make the protection plan fool proof

·
Registered
284 Posts
Visions in Canada offers the plans with credit back if not used. I just opted for the 4 yr plan on my Samsung plasma purchase. Here's the actual wording of the terms from their website:

"We'll Pay You Back!

At the end of the term, if your Visions Full Coverage Plan was not required for repairs, the premium paid can be applied to your next purchase up to a maximum of 50% of the new purchase price. We are the only electronics company in Canada who offer this service, and all you have to do is complete this online form and your rebate will be sent to the store location of your choice. Your rebate will be available for use at that location for one year after the expiry of the extended service plan. There is no reason not to protect your purchase, as if you don’t have any repairs, you will get the full amount you paid back to use on your next purchase!"

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.