AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While still listed on their web site and available at some stores, I've noticed that Best Buy is down to carrying a single brand and size of DVD-RAM discs (the Panasonic 5-pack of 3x discs). As little as a month ago they still carried Fuji 10 packs.

Just a heads up in case you want to pick up one of the last few packs before they get a bit harder to get.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Apparently BB has gone full circle now. It was about a year ago they were closing out Panasonic DVD-RAM in favor of only carrying Fuji brand. I think they will carry what ever brand their buyers can get the best deal on? They probably don't sell enough to justify carrying more than one brand.

Dave

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC E100 /forum/post/0

Apparently BB has gone full circle now. It was about a year ago they were closing out Panasonic DVD-RAM in favor of only carrying Fuji brand. I think they will carry what ever brand their buyers can get the best deal on? They probably don't sell enough to justify carrying more than one brand.

Dave

Dave, I totally agree.

It has been a few years since I bought DVD-RAM, so I was unaware they even carried Fuji; they only carried Panasonic the last time I looked for DVD-RAM there.

As long as BB carries products that can take DVD-RAM, I expect them to carry at least one brand of the media. Besides DVD recorders that can use DVD-RAM, they sell Sony and Toshiba notebooks that do. Both these notebooks use the Panasonic DVD burner, which can use DVD-RAM. Maybe other brands of notebooks or desktops BB sells can burn to RAM--I only know about the Toshiba and Sonys.

Edit: BB sells HP notebooks that use the same DVD multidrive, so that's at least three brands of notebooks sold at BB that can use DVD-RAM.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I suggested in a post several months ago that the popularity of DVD recorders that can record on DVD-RAM didn't mean that DVD-RAM is in fact popular, since those models can also record on DVD-R media. The real indication is DVD-RAM disc sales, and judging by the stock that the stores are carrying DVD-RAM sales must be pretty small. Based on the scarcity of media I still believe that DVD-RAM is a niche product.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Carrying a single brand does not necessarily equate to scarcity - My local Best Buy keeps a significant stock of DVD-RAM on hand and appears to turn it over frequently so someone besides me must be buying it (Frankly, I buy it online directly from Panasonic as it is cheaper than in retail stores). But I also see DVD-RAM at Walmart, Staples, and CompUSA. In fact, I often find it easier to locate pack of DVD-RAM than cakeboxes of DVD-RW media for some reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.