AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So I have a $500 Gift Card to Best Buy and I have the need for A Receiver and Speakers.

I have:

Toshiba DLP 52" TV (HDMI/DVI, 2 component)

Zenith DVB814 DVD player (component or DVI, optical Audio)

Time Warner SA8000HD Cable Box (component, optical Audio)

XBOX (component, optial audio)

So I need to finish this up with:

Receiver (would like 3 comp/optical inputs, powered zone 2)

$500

Speakers (5.1 Package, don't need 6.1 or 7.1)

$500

So one of the above I would like to find at Best Buy.

Some items of Interest:

Onkyo TX-SR602 (at CC $424)

Athena Micra 6 Speaker ($499 at Best Buy)

Any suggestions on what Reciever or Speaker Package to get at Best Buy

and if so, what the matching speaker/reciever should be and it's source?

Thanks!

Mario

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is an easy one for me. $500 is not enough for high quality speakers. Spend the gift card $$$ on a receiver and start saving for speakers. From all of the positive posts in this forum, you should listen to both the:

->Yamaha HTR-5760 or the Pioneer VSX-1014

Unfortunately, both of them only have 2 comp in, I wasn't able to find one with 3 component in (on the website). Maybe someone else can recommend an alternative.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd say blow the gift card on a sub but then again they don't have anything really interesting save the big JBL and Velodyne but they're both overpriced.

Otherwise I'd say blow it on half a TV purchase but you have one.

Why use component when you have a DLP, Try to use DVI. (I understand the DVD player and Xbox don't but for TV your box should have the choice). Then you can use the 2 component in for those, and DVI for the third.

Seth

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mgonzales
Ok, So I have a $500 Gift Card to Best Buy and I have the need for A Receiver and Speakers.

I have:

Toshiba DLP 52" TV (HDMI/DVI, 2 component)

Zenith DVB814 DVD player (component or DVI, optical Audio)

Time Warner SA8000HD Cable Box (component, optical Audio)

XBOX (component, optial audio)

So I need to finish this up with:

Receiver (would like 3 comp/optical inputs, powered zone 2)

$500

Speakers (5.1 Package, don't need 6.1 or 7.1)

$500

Mario
I am assuming you mean 3 comp AND 3 optical inputs which implies 3 separate sources for each. ? I am not sure you can get a good receiver in that price range.

So, consider the ONkyo 602 or Pioneer 1014 receiver and get a comp video switcher to connect your 3 sources to one of the 2 inputs.

As for speakers, I think you can get very good speakers from HTD (Level 3 towers) for
In short, I think you should spend the card on one of the 2 receivers listed above (Pioneer preferred) and a comp video switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bharat-N
I am assuming you mean 3 comp AND 3 optical inputs which implies 3 separate sources for each. ? I am not sure you can get a good receiver in that price range.

So, consider the ONkyo 602 or Pioneer 1014 receiver and get a comp video switcher to connect your 3 sources to one of the 2 inputs.

As for speakers, I think you can get very good speakers from HTD (Level 3 towers) for
In short, I think you should spend the card on one of the 2 receivers listed above (Pioneer preferred) and a comp video switch.
Actually, belive it or not - the Onkyo 602 has 3 Comp / 3 Optical Inputs, support 2nd zone but i have not found many review of it on here.

I have read many favorable reviews of the PIO 1014.

Actually Have a poll for the speakers I am lookin at :

here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.