AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Before the flame war starts, YES they need to be from best buy. I'll spare the details but idc how awesome whatever boutique builder is (i'd probably get htd lvl 2 were I able) but for now BB is the ONLY option.

With that out of the way, I'm starting with a Denon AVR-1713, a Dayton SUB-1000, & a pair of Sansui S-U9000 3-way bookshelves (ancient hand-me-downs I can't find any info on) hooked up to my pc via optical spdif. I listen to movies, tv shows, music, games, and youtube videos constantly and am looking for a good LCR so I can relegate the sansuis to surround. I need a flat, neutral frequency response but don't have the ability to go test them in person as of yet. Because of that, I already purchased a pair of Klipsch KB-15s and a KC-25 online & needless to say, they are woefully inadequate so I'm looking to exchange them. There is almost no mid-range to them and the highs seem a bit pronounced (yes, even w/ Audyssey.) My set-up is currently in a bedroom but plan to use it as a living room home theater somewhere down the road so I'm incrementally upgrading to offset the cost. I'd like to stay in the same price range but am willing to spend a bit more for quality. I'm even down to spend the ~$300 on just the center if it compliments the sansuis well but would really like a bit smaller form factor for space reasons.

Models I'm Contemplating:

CENTER

Definitive - ProCenter 1000

Energy - CC-10

KEF - C6CBL

L&R

Definitive - ProMonitor 1000

Energy - CB-10

KEF - C3BL

For reference I also use a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro headphones and would love my HT to actually sound better than them but haven't quite made it happen yet :-/

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nothing wrong with Best Buy as long as you are going to be an informed shopper. The main complaints concerning Best Buy is with its staff. They have very good same-as-cash credit terms as long as you pay off the balance within the terms of your agreement.

Definitive Technology favors the mid-range, so they might be what you are looking for if the Klipsch didn't work for you. I don't know enough about Energy and KEF to comment on those. You might want to see if you can get the Def Tech ProCenter 2000 to match those PM 1000's but I'd recommend stepping up higher in the DefTech line, like the Studio Monitor 45/55/65. The SM65 on its side can be used as a center channel but maybe something like a 8060 would be a better choice.

Reactions: zyvx

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
KEF has a lot of good speakers, but for some reason they screwed up when they designed the C3; it's a dud.

The KEF Q300 or Q100 speakers are what you really want...lol.

The B & W 685 is also very good.

Just about all of the others on the Best Buy website are either crap, or a LOT more expensive; they sure have a lot of it. KEF and B & W are about all that is worth looking at there.

Klipsch is the crappiest sounding by far; I can't believe anyone can listen to them.

This is what a Home Theater review had to say about their Reference series speakers:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

'lacked refinement and speed"

And those are supposed to be Klipsch's BEST speakers??? (except for the Classics like the Klipschhorn...which are very good and very expensive).

I have never seen such a savage review of ANY speaker before; I don't think he liked them...lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hands down Yamaha NS 777. They sound very musical and pleasant (the highs are slightly sibilant at first but goes away after breaking in).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the delayed response but I've had some BSOD issues. 

I was actually able to make it in-store for a sound test and holy crap those definitive speakers are awesome. I didn't see any KEFs on display and they didn't have the 685s (also WAAAAAY out of my price range) but I tested the Energys and the Studio Monitors. 

N. o. C. o. m. p. a. r. i. s. o. n.

The SM-45s and 55s were pretty close (no 65s to test 
) but I went with the 55s for the slightly better mid-range (45s were a little bright in a back & forth.) 

Needless to say, they were great but I could only afford 2 and not a center. I'm still torn on my options for that as well.

I'd like to do the 65 on its side but I'm worried about the top mounted "bass radiator" and it looking strange w/ a vertical grille on it (unless it comes w/ a horizontal as well...)  

Also confused on the 8060 as it has an integrated sub but I already have a good one and the 8040 seems to be the exact same without it (and $200 less.)

You also hit the nail on the head about best buy. I have a credit line there and have been using it happily for 5+ years (and completely ignoring anyone who approaches me in the store
.)

I happened to have a good experience this time tho (shocker!!) A couple of the guys I talked to were actually quite knowledgeable. The sound guy also temporarily misplaced the test CDs and asked me to go pick out any CD in the store to open and try. Even after he found the case on the way back, lol. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts