AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking in the BR software forum, I noticed a thread about by one get one free for certain BR titles. Has anyone heard of this be applied to HD-DVD? I really hope so then I will be able to add more HD-DVDs to my collection.

If this does not apply to HD-DVD, this makes me think that the BR software sales are not all what people may think they are.

· Registered
23,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza /forum/post/0

If this does not apply to HD-DVD, this makes me think that the BR software sales are not all what people may think they are.

Maybe Best Buy decided to start trying to get movie software sales to sell the PS3 instead of the other way around.

--Darin

· Registered
1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzz#836 /forum/post/0

There is an excessive number of those titles stocked in the warehouses. This is an attempt to help reduce the excess number that aren't selling.

indeed, price cutting and spot rebates are the best way to move sitting merchandise and increase sales... (I did not mention margins and profitabilty on purpose, hey those are 2 tabo words in the BD camp)

· Premium Member
24,408 Posts
Most of those release Blu ray titles were blamed for the poor start. No wonder it's by one get one free!

· Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/0

Pff.. Ha ha Blur ray,

But I'd be a sweet deal on HD-DVD, I guess their meet the parrents and xmas vaction are exssives.

Is this the new nickname around the HD-DVD thread?

· Banned
1,888 Posts
Are we now looking at sales as an indication of failure? I bought a few HD DVDs at Fry's Electronics for $14.99 each last year. I think the choices included "The Fugitive," "Phantom of the Opera," "The Last Samurai," and a few others. You are really reaching when you use a sale as an indication of failure, because if the same promotion is offered for HD DVD next week you will all be saying it's a shift in Best Buy's support. C'mon guys it is time to give it up already. It is tiresome.

· Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

Are we now looking at sales as an indication of failure? I bought a few HD DVDs at Fry's Electronics for $14.99 each last year. I think the choices included "The Fugitive," "Phantom of the Opera," "The Last Samurai," and a few others. You are really reaching when you use a sale as an indication of failure, because if the same promotion is offered for HD DVD next week you will all be saying it's a shift in Best Buy's support. C'mon guys it is time to give it up already. It is tiresome.

Well, if I saw HD-DVD getting the same deal next week... I wouldn't care what anyone else thought, and I would go take advantage of the deal while the getting is good!

· Registered
1,230 Posts
Is this what the format war has degenerated to?

A big box store has a sale on a few titles of one HD format and now everyone has to find some way to spin it.

By that same logic, we see sales on DVDs every week. Surely DVD is a doomed format.

· Registered
708 Posts
Well if it's spin or tactic it's tempting me to go pickup 4 BD titles.

I don't have a BD player yet but recently some of my favorite movies were announced/released on BD.

Once TVA gets some of the philips BP9000/37's in I'm likely going to buy one to go along with my HD-A2.

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_riginal /forum/post/0

Well, if I saw HD-DVD getting the same deal next week... I wouldn't care what anyone else thought, and I would go take advantage of the deal while the getting is good!

What he said. I wasn't really using this as a gauge to whether HD-DVD was blowing away Blur-ray, just that the HD-DVD titles must not have too much of an issue moving stock. The $14.99 deal at Fry's is an awesome deal as well, but you also have to look at the titles with the deals as well.

Trying to make any other kind of spin on the Blur-Ray promotion at BB does not help HD-DVD at all. The issue I see with that type of promotion is two fold. 1) It could increase Blur-Ray sales to get closer to HD-DVD and give the exclusive BR studios false sense of their titles moving faster, and 2) If we do not get any deals like this for HD-DVD, we will have to pay closer to SRP for our titles.

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assayer /forum/post/0

Is this what the format war has degenerated to?

A big box store has a sale on a few titles of one HD format and now everyone has to find some way to spin it.

By that same logic, we see sales on DVDs every week. Surely DVD is a doomed format.

I am more upset that us HD-DVD supporters cannot get the same type of deal from BB. I will support HD-DVD until it's last stance. EVeryone that ask me about high def movies, I always lead them toward HD-DVD. I not only tell them about HD-DVD, but I sway them aways from the PS3 and any BR players because of the high initial cost to accept the format.

Of course you see DVD sales every week, but why do you actually think that you see those sales? Is it because the studios are trying to move the titles because they know consumers will tend to purchase items on sale when they wouldn't at regular price, or is it because the titles on sales are not the greatest so to speak and the retailer is willing to minimize profits in order to move stock?

There is always a reason why things like this happen. We will not know for sure that reason, but we can speculate as to why it is happening. I for sure know that if I am selling an item that has no issue being sold for a higher profit, I darn sure will not drop the price to make less profit.

Relate this to the house market. When homes are selling extremely fast because the market is booming, sellers are less willing to negotiate to sell because of the market. When the housing market is slower, you can get much better deals when purchasing. The same relates to every retailer selling merchandise (eBayers included). Take a quick look on eBay at the current prices of the PS3. You will notice less people throwing money away by paying higher prices because the demand just is not as great as it was before the holidays. Then take a look at the Wii and get back to me later when you have a chance.

As the poster ahead of me dubbed it, Blur-Ray can die right now and I personally would not care what so ever because the company backing the format is trying to put a strong hold on consumers to make them have to purchased upgraded equipment in order to get the best out of the software. I cannot utilize the PS3 in my setup because of the lack of IR on the PS3 and I refuse to purchase a BR player at the current price. I could literally go on and on about this, but in my setup, HD-DVD is more consumer friendly.

· Registered
27,728 Posts
Best Buy isn't behind this deal, Sony is. They are subsidizing it....(and thank you as I will be buying
)

Don't blame BB, they are only the seller. Any special pricing is a deal worked out with the manufacturer (e.g. Blu ray group / Sony).

If you want to blame someone for no HD DVD deals, blame Toshiba.

23,061 Posts
There's been a promotion going for a while with Toshiba and HD-DVDs. Buy a new player and get 3 free HD-DVDs. You don't get them at the store where you buy the player, unfortunately. You get them sent to you in the mail.

larry

· Registered
27,728 Posts
Blu ray has a similar promotion as well.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.