AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know why Best Buy stopped selling Samsung HD boxes? They arent going to carry t-160 or t-165 any more. They have already pulled them from their web page.....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'd have guessed some stupid deal with DirecTV, but that wouldn't explain dropping the 160. God only knows how they decide stuff there.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The Best Buy near me sells the T165 and JVC DVHS as a recording capability. Droping the T165 would make the JVC DVHS useless. Since DirecTV does not have an interface to DVHS and does not plan to add it, maybe they are discouraging it among their retailers.

Rick R

·
Registered
464 Posts
DirecTV has mandated that all new IRD's incorporate a "Receiver ID number". I'm sure this is to combat theft of service.

The Samsung Sir-S70 had a serial number and an access card number. Samsung is now making the identical box, called the SIR-S300W, which has a serial number, receiver ID number, and the access card number.

There are new IRD's coming from every manufacturer, all have the "RID" number. I'd bet that as soon as the TS-160's are nearly out of the pipeline there will be a "new" model with the RID.

No need to worry.:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Interesting... Sounds like some clever new theft-of-service feature that allows them to set up the authorization in a way that would thwart the pirates in some clever new way.

Good for them.

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that Circuit City has started carrying them. Maybe that is why they have been dropped. Circuit has recently began carrying a lot of products including the dlp's from Samsung

subfan

·
Registered
183 Posts
nnci - if Directv have mandated the need for an receiver ID, why did they drop the sale of the 165? that one doesn't even have anything to do with D*.

maybe they dropped it because everyone is buying them cheaper online rather than paying the ridiculous prices for an OTA box.

VSapra

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, it is certainly not the case they dropped some product because it is cheaper online rather than paying retail.

That would cause Best Buy to drop hundreds and hundreds of products.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Would you be surprised if DirecTV and BestBuy made a deal that BestBuy would sell NO HDTV tuners without DirecTV capability?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.