AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Are Sidelined by a Great TV for Super Bowl XXXVIII Party Fun; Best Buy and Click IQ Survey Shows Super Bowl Parties Are All About Watching the Game

This year more than 120 million Americans are expected to gather with family and friends to watch Super Bowl XXXVIII. So what transforms a "good" get-together into a "super" party? According to a recent Best Buy survey, it's all about the game, the television and the home theater system.

Survey respondents rated a great television and sound system (home theater) as the most important part of the Super Bowl party--ahead of party snacks, entertaining commercials and the halftime show. With 69 percent of Americans planning to watch most or all of the game, the quality of the home theater becomes crucial. Ninety-one percent of those surveyed said it is important to have a quality home theater to watch the game.

Men were especially concerned with the quality of the home theater for a Super Bowl party. In fact, men surveyed would rather watch the game on a great home theater than enjoy the game in the company of the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.

A state-of-the-art home theater can also influence your entertaining habits. Seventy-nine percent of survey respondents said they would host a Super Bowl party if they had a new home theater.

Surprisingly, 60 percent of survey respondents said they need a television upgrade, and 42 percent described their home theater as a "punt" (needs to improve) or "fumble" (needs a lot of help). Not coincidentally, the National Electronic Dealer Association reported that sales of large screen televisions typically increase by 500 percent during the week prior to Super Bowl.

"More people entertain for the Super Bowl than just about any other occasion of the year, and at no event is home theater technology more the center of the attention," said Lee Simonson, business team leader for Picture, Source and Sound at Best Buy. "You really begin to understand the investment families make in their home theater when guys are saying they would rather watch the game on a great television than with the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders."

When you're considering an upgrade to your home theater system, Simonson offered advice on some of the decisions you'll need to make:

-- Picture - If you have decided to move up to HDTV, you have a number of options about the type of display that is best for your home. Some popular options include:

-- DLP(TM) (digital light processing), rear-projection LCD (liquid crystal display) and LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) "big-screen" TVs

-- LCD and Plasma flat-panel TVs

-- Direct view digital "tube" TVs

-- Source - The number of programs broadcast daily in high-definition is constantly increasing - including this year's Super Bowl on CBS. But in order to enjoy the full potential of your high-definition TV, you need an HD source. Currently, there are three primary systems that deliver HD programming to your home:

- Over-the-air broadcast

- Satellite

- Digital cable

-- Sound - Hollywood sound designers have gone to great lengths to provide an auditory experience that is equal in every respect to the stunning visuals you are viewing -- but you miss all of that magic unless your entertainment set-up is properly equipped. To take full advantage of all that HDTV offers, consider incorporating digital 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound receiver and speakers into your home theater system.

-- Solution - Proper cables and a universal remote can add to your HDTV experience. And if you are a little unsure about how to put it all together, consider professional installation to make sure everything is set up for peak performance.

-- Research, research, research - Price shop and compare equipment online or in person.

About the Survey

Best Buy commissioned the study to determine what makes the best Super Bowl party. The results are based on an internet survey of a randomly selected national sample of 701 people ages 18 to 64, conducted January 2004 by Click IQ on behalf of Best Buy. For results based on this sample, one can say with 95 percent confidence that the maximum error attributable to sampling and other random effects is plus or minus 4 percentage points. In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd rather watch the game on great home theater instead of watching it with the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders too. I hate the cowboys and everything associated with them. Now if they agreed to a sleepover, maybe that would be different......

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have to agree. I've helped at least three people in the past week from selecting the right UHF antenna/mounting on the house, to the HD receiver setup and TV connections. Although nobody is really interested in either of the teams out here in SoCal, you gotta have a great setup for the game. I actually postponed my 811 install until the first week of Feb (using a 6000 now) just because i didn't need new equipment headaches the day before the game. I'll have the usual crowd over, plus extras (they seem to pop out of the woodwork) and both of my superbowl pools are already full. So I'm stoked - just hope it doesn't rain here, so the rugrats wil be outside!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sure the Super Bowl pools are for entertainment purpose only, since you don't live in Nevada.......

And good luck with the rugrats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.