AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Best Buy was rather empty tonight and the manager of the Home Theater section happened to be working. I was suprised by how knowledgeable he was and passionate about his job. After becoming jaded by the large retailers it was good to talk to someone like him...

Something interesting he told me that I thought I would share; he said all Best Buy stores would be phasing out the few DLP sets they had left and that what was left in the warehouse would go on clearance by mid-end 2nd quarter of 2009. He said what others here have said, the profit margain and lower demand has killed them off.

I believe that would leave Circuit City the only big chain retailer to carry these sets and at this point it's doubtful Circuit City will be with us by 3rd quarter 2009.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 /forum/post/15452217

My local Best Buy was rather empty tonight and the manager of the Home Theater section happened to be working. I was suprised by how knowledgeable he was and passionate about his job. After becoming jaded by the large retailers it was good to talk to someone like him...

Something interesting he told me that I thought I would share; he said all Best Buy stores would be phasing out the few DLP sets they had left and that what was left in the warehouse would go on clearance by mid-end 2nd quarter of 2009. He said what others here have said, the profit margain and lower demand has killed them off.

I believe that would leave Circuit City the only big chain retailer to carry these sets and at this point it's doubtful Circuit City will be with us by 3rd quarter 2009.

Guess that means no Mitsubishi LaserVues in the Magnolia Sections (if Laservue is even around in the 3Q of 2009)

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15452303

Well next week when Mits announces their 2009 offerings at CES we will know.

You still believe that everything announced (and shown) at CES actually shows up

How do you like that big 70" Laservue that was announced at CES 2008 or the Sony KDS-Z70XBR5?

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15452303

Well next week when Mits announces their 2009 offerings at CES we will know.

I don't know if I'd be expecting a big presence for Mitsubishi @ CES, if exhibit space is any guide. If I'm reading the CES floorplans at the convention center right, companies like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, Pioneer, Sharp, and Toshiba have 13,000-25,000+ sqft of exhibit space each. Mitsubishi has 700 sqft reserved for the show. I guess we'll see what that means, if anything.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Best Buy up here in Canada dropped all RPs last year. At least you guys can still buy them on-line. We don't even have that.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie /forum/post/15453114

I don't know if I'd be expecting a big presence for Mitsubishi @ CES, if exhibit space is any guide. If I'm reading the CES floorplans at the convention center right, companies like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG, Pioneer, Sharp, and Toshiba have 13,000-25,000+ sqft of exhibit space each. Mitsubishi has 700 sqft reserved for the show. I guess we'll see what that means, if anything.

I attended CES in 2007 and after walking what seemed like miles I finally found Mitsubishi's relatively small booth and was surprised to find only front projectors on display. The rather bored rep (who seemed to have no knowledge or interest in the company's set top displays) informed me that Mits never bothers with a big presence at CES. After being dazzled by the grocery store sized exhibits and eager salesmenship of the other vendors I was disappointed to find that Mits just didn't really seem to care.

P

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Mitsubishi always has their own show for dealers and has never had much at CES.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber /forum/post/15452259

Guess that means no Mitsubishi LaserVues in the Magnolia Sections (if Laservue is even around in the 3Q of 2009)

I don't know about that; Best Buy and Magnolia each stock their sections independently, so if Magnolia decides to carry the Laservue, it will be there regardless of what Best Buy decides.

At the very least Magnolia will be able to order you a Laservue.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's interesting, if I'm not mistaken Mitsubishi was the first company to enter the rear projection television market... Looks like they may also be the last one standing this year.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Mitsubishi has been the first with consumer versions in several technologies, including plasma, DLP, & LCD RP.

They have typically been very low production and very high priced introductory models, just like they are doing with Laservue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts