AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Pioneer Kuro used not too long ago that had Best Buy Black Tie Protection. I've had it for a couple months and did notice bad picture in different settings. It looked like bad video processing so they are going to replace the set. Went there today to see what they would deem comparable. I was concerned they were going to try to give me something that was not in the Magnolia section but I was surprised at what they offered me.

#1 on the list was a Samsung 64f8500

#2 on the list was a Panasonic 60GT50

Didn't read the rest cause I wasn't all that interested in anything below a GT50. I initially wanted to get a credit for the original amount I payed for the Kuro which was $3000 but they said if they give me credit it would be market value of the Pioneer Kuro which was $1100 on their computer. So it was an obvious choice. Get the Samsung 64f8500. I asked about replacing it with a ZT60 but they won't have it for a while and my warranty ends this month.

I'm going to miss my Kuro blacks but have read some pages on the Samsung 64f8500 thread and in general looks to be a great TV. Should I be happy about the replacement?

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
I would have went for either the VT60 or the F8500, if not have them order me a ZT60 to be given at time of arrival.....You didnt do bad IMO and really your choices were limited.....the F8500 is shaping up to be an excellent set.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure they'll go for the ZT60 but I'll go ahead and ask. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 60F8500 rather than the 64F8500. Not sure what the logic there was. I wonder if they''ll try to stick with me a 60zt60 rather than the 65zt60 because of the price difference. If they let me choose beween a 64F8500 vs 60zt60 would the edge go to 64f8500?

Anyone know what the black level between the Pioneer Kuro 6020 vs Samsung F8500 is numbers wise?

·
Registered
20,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon  /t/1468745/best-buy-to-replace-my-pioneer-kuro-6020fd-for-good-even-trade#post_23215887

I'm not sure they'll go for the ZT60 but I'll go ahead and ask. I'm surprised they didn't just do a 60F8500 rather than the 64F8500. Not sure what the logic there was. I wonder if they''ll try to stick with me a 60zt60 rather than the 65zt60 because of the price difference. If they let me choose beween a 64F8500 vs 60zt60 would the edge go to 64f8500?

Anyone know what the black level between the Pioneer Kuro 6020 vs Samsung F8500 is numbers wise?

Try to see if they have the VT60.......

As far MLL sure, I know the F8500 doesnt go as low as the Kuro bottom levels, but as for your specific model I'll be of no help....

The ZT60 isnt out yet which is why they may not do it, but it doesnt hurt to ask if you would be willing to wait would they do that for you......

·
Registered
20,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1468745/best-buy-to-replace-my-pioneer-kuro-6020fd-for-good-even-trade#post_23216018

His Pioneer should goto 0.001 ftl while the F8500 has shown to go as low as 0.0016, I believe?

correct full black screen is .0016 at its lowest measurement so far.......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slight reduction of contrast? If the 8500 is significantly brighter with the whites and the black level is almost like. This particular Kuro wouldn't the contrast of the Samsung be better?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon  /t/1468745/best-buy-to-replace-my-pioneer-kuro-6020fd-for-good-even-trade#post_23216302

Slight reduction of contrast? If the 8500 is significantly brighter with the whites and the black level is almost like. This particular Kuro wouldn't the contrast of the Samsung be better?
The F8500 will definitely be able to get brighter, but it also 'floats' black levels, meaning they get lighter as the picture level increases. Your old 6020 and probably the VT60/ZT60 don't do this... black levels stay the same as the picture level increases.

So yes the F8500 can potentially have a very high on/off contrast ratio because it's capable of getting brighter. But ANSI contrast is a better representation of real content; this is the measured black and white on a 4x4 checkerboard pattern. The 6020 and VT60/ZT60 have a considerably higher ANSI contrast ratio than the F8500.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1468745/best-buy-to-replace-my-pioneer-kuro-6020fd-for-good-even-trade#post_23216352

The F8500 will definitely be able to get brighter, but it also 'floats' black levels, meaning they get lighter as the picture level increases. Your old 6020 and probably the VT60/ZT60 don't do this... black levels stay the same as the picture level increases.

So yes the F8500 can potentially have a very high on/off contrast ratio because it's capable of getting brighter. But ANSI contrast is a better representation of real content; this is the measured black and white on a 4x4 checkerboard pattern. The 6020 and VT60/ZT60 have a considerably higher ANSI contrast ratio than the F8500.

This is correct, supposedly samsung has a firmware fix coming that may take care of some of these issues however, but only time will tell. I would never buy a set on future promises however which is why I recommended the Vt60.

As it stands I would try for the ZT60 as that will msot likely represent the closest to what you are used to while improving in other areas.

Ifthats not possible than it would be betweeen the F8500 and the VT60 and then its down to what you want out of the set and what you prefer when you see them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm leaning towards the 8500 because of the brightness. My room is fairly bright and the Kuro looked totally washed out in it during the day. I might be ok with the trade off of .0006 for a bright LCD like set. Yes I mostly do night viewing but I like watching during the day on weekends and accepted the fact that the Kuro wasn't going to look great during the day with all the light. If I could get great picture all day long and sacrifice .0006 in black levels then I feel like ill be in good shape. Also 4" more in picture size is an upgrade itself. I'm sure ill be happy with any of those. Maybe I'll be able to take it back if I'm not happy and look at the vt/zt.

Forgot to add...which panel has the least reflections?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just make sure you check out the F8500 in person and see if you like it. It has a nice POP to it IMO that you either see and really like, or others really don't and think "meh".

VT60's look really nice too. If it were me, I'd lobby hard for a ZT60 replacement, but I'm just dreaming I could even afford that thing lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They just picked up my Pioneer Kuro....it's a sad day.

I'll go to Best Buy today and see if they have any Vt60's to showcase. Maybe push them for the Zt60 but I don't know if I want to wait for it.

Also nobody commented on the reflections on these screens. Do the Vt/Zt use glass in front? I had an awesome led tv 47le8500 that had the glass panel and while I loved the set...the reflections were awful.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon  /t/1468745/best-buy-to-replace-my-pioneer-kuro-6020fd-for-good-even-trade#post_23217473

They just picked up my Pioneer Kuro....it's a sad day.

I'll go to Best Buy today and see if they have any Vt60's to showcase. Maybe push them for the Zt60 but I don't know if I want to wait for it.

Also nobody commented on the reflections on these screens. Do the Vt/Zt use glass in front? I had an awesome led tv 47le8500 that had the glass panel and while I loved the set...the reflections were awful.

yes as with almost any Plasma they use glass "fronts".....The AR Filter is what will seperate the sets......

There are some pictures of the VT in the VT owners thread, but aside from seeing the set in person youll never know what it really looks like in person, pictures often pick up things that youll never see....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.