AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying my frst home theater system. Here is what I am deciding on for speakers. They are within $60 or so of each other total with the Polks costing more. Can I have your opinions?

Best Buy

Fronts - Klipsch VF-36

Center - Klipsch VF-25

Rear/surrounds - Klipsch VB-15

Newegg

Front - Polk Monitor 70

Center - Polk CS

Rear - Polk monitor 30

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more thing. I also listened to the klipsch speakers at best buy and they were brighter than the polks that best buy had, although the polk line best buy carries is different than the polk line I am looking at from newegg. They both sounded good. Also the polks they had sounded more full.

I also plan to run either the BIC H100 or the ED A2-300 sub.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Best Buy sells the Polk Tsi speakers which are very similar to the Polk Monitor series. So you should be able to test them for yourself. Just take a favorite CD to Best Buy and do a head to head challenge.

Personally I don't like either speaker. I think both are too bright.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm /forum/post/19530979

I am looking at buying my frst home theater system. Here is what I am deciding on for speakers. They are within $60 or so of each other total with the Polks costing more. Can I have your opinions?

Best Buy

Fronts - Klipsch VF-36

Center - Klipsch VF-25

Rear/surrounds - Klipsch VB-15

Newegg

Front - Polk Monitor 70

Center - Polk CS

Rear - Polk monitor 30

I love klipsch but i don't think the VF series is all that great ... its not at all like the synergy or reference series ... even so the klipsch will play louder at the same volume as the polks will . If you can go to best buy and listen to the polk and klipsch they wont have the monitors @bb but will have the tsi series which will sound similar . BB also has an amazing return policy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Honestly, based on what I read only, I would buy the Bic Acoustech before the Klipsch VF-36.

OP, what is your budget for speakers and sub? What are you going to power these with? Will this be mainly for home theater? or will you be using it for music as well? Depending on your space, you might want to spend a little more on the subwoofer as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19531014

Best Buy sells the Polk Tsi speakers which are very similar to the Polk Monitor series. So you should be able to test them for yourself. Just take a favorite CD to Best Buy and do a head to head challenge.

Personally I don't like either speaker. I think both are too bright.

Reccomendations? I am around a $600 price range for these speakers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR /forum/post/19531070

Honestly, based on what I read only, I would buy the Bic Acoustech before the Klipsch VF-36.

OP, what is your budget for speakers and sub? What are you going to power these with? Will this be mainly for home theater? or will you be using it for music as well? Depending on your space, you might want to spend a little more on the subwoofer as well.

I was budgeting around $1200-$1400 total including a reciver, sub, speakers. This is 95% for movies. Area is 15' x 15' roungly. All carpeted if that matters

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm /forum/post/19531147

I was budgeting around $1200-$1400 total including a reciver, sub, speakers. This is 95% for movies. Area is 15' x 15' roungly. All carpeted if that matters

A lot of good things have been said about the new Pioneer floor speakers, you might want to check them out. The surrounds aren't as crucial to match, so you can go with either of the rears you currently have selected and the pioneer fronts/center (~$300). If you want to go with only the ones you have listed, the polk are going to sound much more full and not quite as bright, all in all worth the extra $50.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.sperling8 /forum/post/19531239

A lot of good things have been said about the new Pioneer floor speakers, you might want to check them out. The surrounds aren't as crucial to match, so you can go with either of the rears you currently have selected and the pioneer fronts/center (~$300). If you want to go with only the ones you have listed, the polk are going to sound much more full and not quite as bright, all in all worth the extra $50.

I would also check out the Energy RC series-- Best Buy Magnolia should have the CF series, so you can see if you like the sound, and the RCs will be a step up.. I started off liking the Pioneers, then considered the Polks and Klipsch (louder but not as clear IMO) before ultimately going with the RC-50s for above my budget. You could get the RC-50s, RC-10s and a center channel (RC-CC mini) for under $1200 shipped and be very happy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton /forum/post/19531359

I would also check out the Energy RC series-- Best Buy Magnolia should have the CF series, so you can see if you like the sound, and the RCs will be a step up.. I started off liking the Pioneers, then considered the Polks and Klipsch (louder but not as clear IMO) before ultimately going with the RC-50s for above my budget. You could get the RC-50s, RC-10s and a center channel (RC-CC mini) for under $1200 shipped and be very happy.

But I wanted to be 1200-1400 including sub and reciver.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I own several of the previous klipsch model speakers that are sold at best buy (A pair of Synergy F3's a pair of Synergy F2's, and c3's), as well as the Polk Monitor speakers sold on Newegg (Pair of Monitor 70's and Monitor 40's)

I actually ended up replacing my Klispch F2's in my main living room with the Polk 70's and I am very happy with the change. IMO the polk's produce a cleaner more lively sound. The klipsch are nice and I will probably move them into the bedroom for secondary speakers, but I Definately like the polks better.

I do not know how they compare with the newer line of klipsch sold in bestbuy currently, just on the older synergy line.

·
Registered
19,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm /forum/post/19531575

I will let you do the figures - go to www.ac4l.com and look at

the refurbish receivers. Go to www.hsuresearch.com and look

at the STF-2 sub. Go to www.onecall.com and look at the Boston

VR1 towers and VRC center - then look at the Boston CR67 book-

shelf speakers for surrounds.

·
Registered
543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm /forum/post/19531575

Sorry, my bad-- read your post too quickly. BBuy was offering a deal on the CF series, where if you buy the fronts and center, they throw in the matching sub and rears for free, total of $1100. That would leave $300 for the receiver, which should allow you to get a nice unit, I saw the Pioneer 1019 on sale for $300 through Amazon. BBuy also has some nice open box deals that vary from store to store.

EDIT: The important advice I took away from this site was to listen very carefully before you buy anything-- that's what sold us on the Enrgy line over the Klipsch. It's worth the time so that you'll be happy with your setup down the line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My vote goes to Polk. I own a few Polks, and have been happy with all of them except the outdoor ones. I always recommended the Polk monitor lines to my friends looking for a budget setup, and they are all pretty happy with their Polks. Klipsch is too bright for my ears. Even though I have upgraded to much more expensive speakers, I still love my Polks as a second bedroom system.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions but I already got my HT system and I'm loving it. Monitor 70's in front, cs20 center, monitor 30's for side and rear surround to complete the 7.1 setup. Also elemental designs a5-350 sub, pioneer vsx1120 avr, and Mitsubishi wd-73c9. I spent alot more than I wanted but it was worth it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts