AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random (but very specific) question. I just bought a TV from Best Buy. I'm not having it delivered for a month b/c I'm moving to a new house and don't want / need it until then. I know BB has their 30 day "trial" period. But can anyone CONFIRM that the 30 days starts when you take delivery, rather than when you order the TV?

BB's receipt and website references the "original purchase date". I specifically asked the BB salesman (who was shockingly knowledgeable) and he insisted it was 30 days from when I take delivery, which of course makes sense.

But really don't want to find out that I'm already past my 30 days when the TV gets delivered in a month.

Anyone know for sure.

Thanks (and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My experience with BB is that you rarely get the same answer from them twice.

I'd contact my sales guy and have him put it in writing on the receipt. That way you have something on hand in case he is gone by the time you need the policy.

Original purchase date and date received are two different things. In your case, the difference is substantial.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You could call BB and ask them to confirm that your return period is from date of delivery - in an e-mail.

Other option is to talk to the store Manager and get him/her to document your receipt.

·
Registered
599 Posts
No way to get an answer from BB that will give you peace of mind. If you ask 4 different people you will probably get 3 different answers. Call coporate and try to speak with someone in operations.

I would be hesitant to take a chance even though logic dictates you couldn't return it if it wasn't in your possession as BB may counter the Logic with their own definition.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman4 /forum/post/17011381

No way to get an answer from BB that will give you peace of mind. If you ask 4 different people you will probably get 3 different answers. Call coporate and try to speak with someone in operations.

I would be hesitant to take a chance even though logic dictates you couldn't return it if it wasn't in your possession as BB may counter the Logic with their own definition.

That's what I'm afraid of. Went to their website and couldn't figure out how to contact corporate.

Was thinking of emailing customer service and then having it documented in writing in an email that their policy is [blank].

May also go back to the store and have the manager write it on my receipt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Question...

Why not wait a month to buy the TV? Chances are you will save some money anyway as the prices keep dropping. Also, make sure to keep an eye on their prices and have them price match any retail store that is cheaper in the next 30 days if you decide to keep the tv.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish /forum/post/17014240

Question...

Why not wait a month to buy the TV? Chances are you will save some money anyway as the prices keep dropping. Also, make sure to keep an eye on their prices and have them price match any retail store that is cheaper in the next 30 days if you decide to keep the tv.

The only reason I bought it this past Friday is because I had a 10% Off Rewards Zone coupon that was only good from the 14th until the 17th. Figured it was worth it to lock in that price while I can.

I know that I can always get a price match from local retailers but very few seem to have the display - PC Richards for example doesn't have it yet and for some reason J&R only seems to carry Panny plasmas. My experience w/ BB is that they won't match internet prices, only local B&Ms.

So I always have the option of canceling my BB order before the TV ships but wanted to lock in the 10% off price.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I called BB Corporate "Customer Relations"...explained the situation and they said they didn't have any firm policy in writing. The guy I spoke with pointed me to the BB.com return policies which say that the item can be returned w/in 30 days of receiving it. I explained that I didn't buy it from BB.com but instead from a store. He said he understood and that since the item was being delivered the BB.com policy should apply.

I asked him to forward me the link to the website and put in the body of the email that this applies to deliveries of in-store purchases.

More importantly, the guy set up a case number and documented our discussion.

Still haven't gotten his email but (if and) when I do, I'll feel a lot better.

Still going to go to the store and have the manager write it on my receipt just to cover all of my bases.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks like you know now but it's 30 days from purchase unless your a premier member then its 45 days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked my manager to clarify the return policy in this situation, and he said it is technically thirty days from the date of purchase, but that they would make an exception. The issue he pointed out was if a customer scheduled a delivery in three months and the item was discontinued by the time of the return the store would end up losing money. So in your case, buying a new TV, you should be fine. Just get something in writing from the manager at your local store if you're concerned about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts