Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just bought my new 50 inch Sony wega engine Plasma with HDTV. We updated from digital cable box to an HD BOX. My question is what the BEST cable I should be using for optimal quality? RIght now comcast used the 5 cables from the HD box to the HDTV. I know there is a connection in the back of my HDTV for HDMI and there is a connection in the back of my comcast box for DVI.

Right now, HDTV channels look good, however that INHD logo in the corner could be more crisp. I wanna see grass blades on the football field, as Ive heard you will see :) Regular channels are somwhat blurry, not clear. I do understand with my HDTV channels are soooo much more clear, I will see a differenace, but this is just poor quality, so im thinking it might be my connection. My other TVs in the house have a better picture then the regular channels on my Plasma.

I just curious, whats the best cables for best quality, Monster cables, DVI, HDMI cables, S-video.

Thank you so much

AnthonyC

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your SD channels will look worse on your TV then smaller TV's in the house. If you'd like to give the digital connection a try, you just need a DVI to HDMI cable, you can find them online for $25-$30 bucks. You don't need a super expensive cable with digital, as long as the 1's and 0's get from point A to point B, the PQ will always be the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you Mjones, you were helping me last night with my Tivo :)

I know the regular channels will NOT look as sharp as the HD channels, but my 36 inch TV looks fine. And I see a big differance when changing from HD to regular. I just figured, there has GOT to be a cable that can help this. But then again, if it was the cable, the HD channels wouldnt be as sharp either.

So those expensive monster cables with THX for $99.00 is NOT what its cracked up to be? $20.00 cables will do the trick?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Monster makes nice cables, they just mark the price up too high on them so vendors can make higher profit margins pushing their stuff. You can get equal or better quality cables for less if you shop around.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony70
thank you Mjones, you were helping me last night with my Tivo :)

I know the regular channels will NOT look as sharp as the HD channels, but my 36 inch TV looks fine. And I see a big differance when changing from HD to regular. I just figured, there has GOT to be a cable that can help this. But then again, if it was the cable, the HD channels wouldnt be as sharp either.

So those expensive monster cables with THX for $99.00 is NOT what its cracked up to be? $20.00 cables will do the trick?
It's not the cables hurting the SD, it's the box. Split the cable before the HD box and use a different input for SD cable.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
It's not the cables hurting the SD, it's the box. Split the cable before the HD box and use a different input for SD cable.
He's got Directv, can't do that...

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuud718
bfoster, can you please explain your response in more detail.

thanks-
The interal analog tuners in most HD STB's suck, splitting the cable and using the tuner in your TV for your analog stations usually helps increase the PQ on them due to the TV having a better tuner and filters to clean up the stations.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If possible, use HDMI or DVI connections, because this allows the digital signal from the set top box to remain digital into the television set. Its widely known by the professional installers like myself to always use the all digital connection. Now there are some things to know. Some equipment has a slightly better picture with component video compared to HDMI or DVI, but thats not true in the high end equipment like SONY and PANASONIC and PHILIPS, which does have the better picture quality. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you make out.

·
Registered
22,273 Posts
If the NTSC tuner in the external STB is crappy... whether you use HDMI, DVI or EIEIO...

the picture quality will suffer. Many times, using the internal NTSC tuner in the TV is preferable.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
While Mike has the right idea, blindly using digital and assuming you are getting the best PQ possible is not yet a safe path down which to tread. Ratman has delineated one possible situation where an alternative may be preferable. If you search, there are others... It is always best to try your different connection options with each new piece of gear to be certain you end up using the highest-performing one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is what i was implying. Sometimes the digital connection is better then component, and sometimes its not. Trying each out will allow you to know what works for you and what doesnt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.