AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So almost complete my home theater, however I still have one HDMI cable and two speaker wires to hide. Short of removing drywall and running behind, I'd rather just pin the cables to the drywall and run a plastic cable raceway... Two main questions:

1) What is the best way to attach the cables to drywall prior to the raceway installation? staple gun? brads? etc?

2) What is the best raceway around that I can order online with a reasonable price? Are they all self adhesive? Or how would they be attached to the drywall?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can offer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I see... I was under the impression that I attach the cable to the drywall first and then cover the cable with a "U" shaped plastic raceway.

Ok in that case, my question becomes what is the best way to attach the raceway to painted drywall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19510457

The raceways I've seen hold the cable. You insert the cables after the raceways are attached to the wall.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,146 Posts
If you ever want to remove a raceway attached with adhesive you will have a big mess and a few hours of drywall repair. Instead I would just grab a handful of drywall screws and attach the raceway. If you remove it you can patch the holes in minutes.

This one is from cableorganizer.com

Having said that I would fish the wires through the walls instead of a surface mounted raceway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the advice about the drywall screws only...with anchor I presume? or is the weight so small that anchors are not necessary??? This is being installed 80% on the ceiling btw...

only problem about finishing the wires in the wall, is there is a large ductand staircase construction I would have to go around and it would mean a lot of drywall cutting, patching and repainting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19510544

If you ever want to remove a raceway attached with adhesive you will have a big mess and a few hours of drywall repair. Instead I would just grab a handful of drywall screws and attach the raceway. If you remove it you can patch the holes in minutes.

This one is from cableorganizer.com

Having said that I would fish the wires through the walls instead of a surface mounted raceway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts