AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have coax from my equipment room to this kitchen HD LCD. The equipment room is about 100 ft from my kitchen. I have cat5 from that equipment room as well that goes to a router in my kitchen (near the new TV). I could run another cable to the spot, too.

Is there a way to run a HD signal over coax to my TV? I want to leave the box in the equipment room (I have IR control to the equipment room).

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've never seen a device to run HD over coax... doesn't mean they don't exist though.

I assume you want to use HDMI for audio/video, if so I would pull 2 CAT5 or 6 cables and use one of these .

I use one for one of my LCDs and the picture looks perfect.

According to the specs 100' may be pushing it for 1080P, but 720P shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A couple of cat6 runs should do the trick, several companies (Geffen, etc) make converters that will transmit 1080p. There are also some wireless products out there but for my $ hard-wired is almost always a better choice.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
With one Cat5 you can run component HD video + mono sound to to a TV with a set of component baluns. I did this for a similar kitchen TV setup with the intent to eventually run dedicated cabline. However, the we saw no difference in the picture, and the mono sound is fine for the kitchen...so it has stayed that way.

·
Registered
563 Posts
just out of curiosity, if you have cable service at the house you may have a lot of QAM channels.....

I get about 30 or 40 with Cox so kitchen/bathroom tvs do fine with that (no need for dvr there)....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts