AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a calibration software bundle (either Chromapure + D3 or Calman + Chroma5, and would appreciate peoples views on how well they integrate with the iScan Duo (which I already own).

IS the integration of both EXACTLY the same, or does one have better control of/inteface to DVDO than the other?

I've read some of the threads on DVDo and the software threads, but not found any discussion of this subject yet.....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgx /forum/post/20775512

I'm looking to buy a calibration software bundle (either Chromapure + D3 or Calman + Chroma5, and would appreciate peoples views on how well they integrate with the iScan Duo (which I already own).

IS the integration of both EXACTLY the same, or does one have better control of/inteface to DVDO than the other?

I've read some of the threads on DVDo and the software threads, but not found any discussion of this subject yet.....

I think you'd kick yourself in the ass in the long run if you chose the C5 over the D3. Get ChromaPure. Do the adjustments with the RS232 Control Panel (separate program). The Control Panel is independent of ChromaPure, works just like ControlCal, and is free. There's a link here somewhere or I could email the program to you. See the two attachments.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20775570

I think you'd kick yourself in the ass in the long run if you chose the C5 over the D3. Get ChromaPure. Do the adjustments with the RS232 Control Panel (separate program). The Control Panel is independent of ChromaPure, works just like ControlCal, and is free. There's a link here somewhere or I could email the program to you. See the two attachments.

I couldn't find the software, who wrote it?

Yes please send software or a link. Would be nice to have.

I will probably still buy the automated add-on for whichever package I choose, since anything that makes thinks quicker and easier is a godsend to my life

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There already seem to be many heated discussions about which is best, and I'm not looking to turn this into one of them. IMHO it appears they are similar in functionality, CalMan has a much bigger installed and supporter base since it has been around for much longer. ChromaPure seems a bit more user friendly, and perhaps aimed slightly more at the DIY home user rather than Professional installer, but I believe either will do the job for me. I like the idea of using the more widely used and tested CalMan, but am also tempted by the friendlier user interface, and hopefully fresher aproach to the job of calibration.

This post was actually to discuss the differences between the DVDO iScan Duo interfaces and usage differences between CalMan and ChromaPure (if any). Have any of you tried both add-ons?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgx /forum/post/20777795

I couldn't find the software, who wrote it?

Yes please send software or a link. Would be nice to have.

I will probably still buy the automated add-on for whichever package I choose, since anything that makes thinks quicker and easier is a godsend to my life

You can download it here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...4ZmYz&hl=en_US

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborgx /forum/post/20777789

THanks, but I see that package nowhere on their website.

It's on the consumer site. Of course, the price has gone up from $345 to $395 since the promotion ended.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Have both CALMAN 4.x Home (no Duo autocal option) and Chromapure with autocal, my preference is for the latter even without autocal option. It is more intuitive and clearly laid out to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
For Calman, there are 2 versions of "autocal".

First one is cheaper, and it is called "interactive". It is not "completely" auto, as you still need to manual drag say each %WHITE, or RGBCMY color to the point you want. So, I called it semi-auto
To me, it is good enough..as I am not professional calibrating other people set. Just my own PJ and plasma.

Then there is the real-auto, that you just press a button and I heard it will then go do everything (including brightness and contrast).. However, this one require professional license and there is no add-on. So, it is quite expensive.

I do not have CP so I can't comment. But in Tom's video, it seems it is more on the "full-auto", and at a quite reasonable price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.