AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed in previous years but I am trying to find current information for what camcorder models are being sold now. I want to video high school baseball players hitting and pitching. I don't care about wide angle features because I will not be videoing the games. Just hitters and pitchers during games.

The only features I would like are slow motion replay and the ability to watch the video on the camcorder, Ipad or computer. The Panasonic website suggested that I buy the HC-V750 which is $599. I was hoping to pay $350 and I don't mind if the camcorder is a few years old or refurbished. And I am not brand loyal since I am a newcomer to camcorders.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thx Greg

·
Registered
525 Posts
You will have a hard time finding a camera that "ticks all your boxes" for the price. The 750 will do all you want and has a versatile Wi-Fi setup, the Slo-Mo is excellent as well. Panasonic recently bought out this year's batch of cameras with 4K so there may be some good 750s going around.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The main issue to consider is motion blur.

Casio produced excellent high performance high speed video cameras from 2008 to 2011. These had full manual exposure control and could set shutter speeds to reduce motion blur. The models were the F1, FH20, FH25 and finally the FH100. Unfortunately, Casio stopped producing these models with manual exposure control. Best to get one of these models used.

A new model is the Casio Ex 100Pro but it has just been released only in Japan, Jan 2015. Its performance and specs in high speed video mode are not confirmed yet in my opinion. $870 or so price range if you can buy it in the US. ?

If it pans out, the Casio Ex 100Pro would be the only camera that I know of that can do 200-300 fps and has full manual control of shutter speed. All other available, affordable video cameras have automatic exposure control in high speed video mode. Knowing what the shutter speed will be requires testing as you cannot get the information in the specs and the shutter speed will depend on the light level and the lens's F number. Look for Youtubes of high speed athletic motions, especially golf swings from the side view, to evaluate motion blur.

To get started, I would recommend the Canon Powershot 100HS used. The cost is under $80 used. The resolution is very low, a bit ugly, but it's adequate. I tested this camera's motion blur for tennis in bright sunlight and with a wide angle lens. The motion blur is small. But for small motion blur the wide angle should be used with the camera close to the pitcher or batter. Using telephoto will increase motion blur because the automatic exposure control will select a slower shutter speed.

Thread on high speed video considerations including motion blur test on the Canon 110HS.
http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435

High speed videos. With my Casio FH100 I often use 240 fps and shutter speed of 1/10,000 sec or faster.
https://vimeo.com/user6237669/videos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and your expertise. Wow, you guys/gals really know your stuff. I'll do some research and pull the trigger on something. Catch up next time and thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts