AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any consensus on the best (cleanest) s-video capture card for use with DScaler? I'm looking for an alternative to the Holo3d. I'm interested ONLY in svideo capture, and would prefer a card without a tuner. Finally, I'm not interested in PVR functionality -- I'm just trying to get the cleanest svideo input for subsequent processing with Dscaler.

Any opinions out there?

thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
650 Posts
At one point I had both the Holo3D I, the $40 Flyvideo2000, and some old $40 WinTV card. The old WinTV card was a cheap toy at best, totally outclassed by the other two cards. Between the Holo3D and the flyvideo2000 (using Dscaler 4.1.6) for S-video input there were only a few very slight differences, and not all of them were in favor of the Holo3D (slight inherent green tint on the Holo3D's grayscale). I also did not see noticable improvement by using the component inputs of the holo3D. For these reasons I sold the Holo3D and I've been happily using my Flyvideo2000 to watch DVDs out of a panny rp91. The flyvideo2k is an awesome value, look no further for your 480i capture needs. Just remember to TURN OFF the Auto Gain control in the card's advanced settings in Dscaler. Then set the manual gain control to about 190 for dvds and then calibrate as usual. If you don't do this then you will get brightness cycling issues with macrovision dvds.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have the XCapture card. I have no experience with the FlyVideo2000. MY only comment is that while the XCapture works great for viewing, using DScaler it doesn't work as a means of capturing video to HD. I believe the lack of hardware compression is the culprit.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Terratec Cynergy series have excellent clean svideo input, they use the latest philips chipset, i don't know if they are distibuted in the us with a ntsc tuner. In Europe they are quite cheap and easy to find.

bye

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a PB TV 100 (FlyView2000 clone), a holo3d and had a MSI [email protected], using the same chip as the Xcapture, but with a tv tuner too.

I found the latter to have a chroma offset delay which Xcapture owners have also reported. Otherwise quite good performance via S-Video.

The pb tv-100 is better and cleaner, although I couldn't get it to auto-calibrate in Dscaler (a few versions ago), it got close. I'd say it's S-Video input is very, very close to the holo3d S-video.

Others have found the Xcapture cleaner than the pb tv-100. I think the Xcapture may be slightly more forgiving of power bourne noise. I used an Enermax Whisper and now a Zalman power-supply, buth of which are known to be very clean, so I definitely prefer the pb tv-100.

I'd say holo3d Component (PAL 576i from X-box High-Def lead) is only slightly better than S-video as above. It wasn't night and day to my eyes, but then again I haven't properly calibrated that holo3d input, black-level, white leve, gamma, etc.

There are options to adjust red and blue separately in the holo3d, combined with hypersnap-DX for snapshots and Photoshop for the color dropper, these inputs can be tuned correctly. BTW, I also noticed video Essentials (original, NTSC) has some green push itself on the greyscale!

I ensed up generating SMPTE color bars with AVIsynth and euthoring 60 seconds of that to a test DVD, then that is totally clean for testing. Hopefully Digital Video Essentials will be cleaner.

cheers,

Rob.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wait for Atman's new PDI card.

It have component and S video input, and I believe he really choose the best part for that.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Anyone care to compare the FlyVideo2000 to the PixelView Xcapture card?
After spending several hours comparing the two cards there were some subtle differences. In a very low noise stripped down system configuration, the Xcapture had slightly better clarity. How much better? Maybe 2 points out of 100. Unfortunately, in a normal HTPC configuration the Xcapture frequently suffers from faint scrolling diagonal lines and suffers from more random noise which is easily seen in Dscaler by zooming in. The FlyVideo2000 card generally provided a cleaner image and is what I am using today for Dscaler. The Xcapture card ended up in the trash.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I would somewhat echo RTK's opinion. As or the PQ between the Xcapture and the FlyVideo I would have to say its a wash. Anything that one might note would be subjective in nature. It's really the noise issue that is completely objective in nature. As for RTK's random noise on Xcapture I have never noticed that.

Sometimes the diagonal noise can be very noticeable. It depends on what you are watching because its most noticeable on a relatively "flat" set of colors. For example, it seems like I always notice it on Voyager where you have lots of flat gray walls.

Many people have complained about the diagonal lines. I have tried the card in almost all the slots and it seems to occur everywhere. I have to rip my HTPC apart to replace the DVD transport and I may start horsing around with supplemental grounding on the card. You would think that with the combined resources on this board someone could find a solution to this problem.

The FlyVideo does not have the noise problem and has the advantage that the tuner (which the original poster doesn't care about) actually works great with Dscalar. However, in my system the FlyVideo was unstable and would do strange sync ghosting. This only happened when I ran it at the same time as my PCTV PIP card. Since PIP is a winner for me I elected to give up the FlyVideo card and no run both the Xcapture and PCTV.

The PCTV has in inferior picture but has the advantage that it will run as a PIP card. That is it does not demand the overlay so can run independently of dscalar. For a small PIP image the quality is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great responses; thanks. Some follow up questions:

1. Any word on when the PDI card will be available?

2. What about the Osprey line of cards? How do they stack up to the FlyVideo or XCapture?

3. Are there significant differences between the FlyVideo 2000 and 3000, other than stereo output (which I won't use anyway)?

4. Does anyone want to buy a Holo3D I?

- Ken

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tested the:

1. osprey

2. flyvideo

3: xcapture

4: msi tvanywhere

The osprey and xcapute had to much noise. The Msi and flyvideo

were close but the msi beet it on resolution.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by K-Wood
Great responses; thanks. Some follow up questions:

1. Any word on when the PDI card will be available?
Atman told us that he will be releasing the new card in October.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll throw a plug in for the Comprousa Videomate Gold Plus which specs out pretty much the same as the Flyvideo 2000. In fact, it runs with Dscaler if you choose the Flyvideo setting. S-video seems very noise free.

I've used an Xcapture and, while I noticed a great improvement over the BT878 cards, I had the diagonal banding occassionaly and the CX chip seemed to give an overall darker picture compared to the Philips chip in the Compro or Flyvideo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.