AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is Full screen, apparently anamorphic Full Screen BY Turner in 1999. Is there a wide screen version? The Standard full plays absolutely fantastic resolution on my XP-30. Much better than any I have seen. AMC or others cannot compare.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
It is Full screen, apparently anamorphic Full Screen BY Turner in 1999. Is there a wide screen version?
Let's hope not- it was filmed at 1.37!!

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
This DVD (the 2 disc SE) really shows how good a transfer can look. It is stunning. It looks like film. Rather a relief to those who are watching with digital PJs that blow the picture up and expose all the warts. Our X1 displays this and the new transfer of the 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood (in Technicolor, of course) with incredible detail and really nice grayscale.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the two disc SE that came out last year is said to be an improvment over the earlier single disc.

i haven't watched it yet, but many people have commented that the new disc is one of the best looking B&W movies available on disc to date

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
I have not seen the older version, but the new SE version is indeed one of the best B&W movies I have seen. Many, including myself, believe that the SE version is worth it alone just for the Roger Ebert commentary audio track where he fills in much of the detail and history of the movie. The SE version is an excellent buy for its historical value. Yes, I know this "isn't" in the movie, but "Play it again, Sam"!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
It is Full screen, apparently anamorphic Full Screen BY Turner in 1999. Is there a wide screen version?
Anamorphic full-screen? I think you'd better check here for the meaning of anamorphic.

If a widescreen version ever does come out, and it will happen, trust me, I strongly recommend you stay away from the bastrdized filth. There has already been at least one full-screen film released in a hacked-up widescreen version that is just plain fugly. (Ninja Scroll) While one can always hope that people will eventually clue into OAR, as soon as wide-screen televisions are in the majority of homes we'll probably start to see more and more of this.

From everything I've heard, the new Casablanca SE transfer is nothing short of spectacular. However, the older version is quite respectable too and looks fine projected. I feel no need to upgrade until a HD version is available. (Although the extras are tempting...)

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cor
There has already been at least one full-screen film released in a hacked-up widescreen version that is just plain fugly. (Ninja Scroll)
A film that was rereleased in the 70's (I think it was then) and was touted as "new and improved" in Widescreen was Gone With The Wind. I did not see it but I heard that some of the rematting removed parts of anatomy and placed the top of the screen on top of actors heads.

Quote:
From everything I've heard, the new Casablanca SE transfer is nothing short of spectacular. I feel no need to upgrade until a HD version is available. (Although the extras are tempting...)
Let the temptations succeed. The commentaries and extras are well worth the extra investment. Sell the old one on eBay or give it away. (Libraries like getting DVDs :) )

This really is one great transfer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.