AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new CD Player. Currently I am using a A47 Panasonic DVD player that is an amazingly good CD Player. I recently did an a/b comparison to a Krell CD player and the Panasonic was much better to my ears. I could not believe it!

But it will be going down to the new HT that I am building...

Tonight I borrowed a new Classe CD Player (around $2K) I have spent hours playing with it and comparing it to the Panasonic and it is pretty close. Maybe I am losing my hearing but the differences are very small. I tried analogue and digital outputs...

I am using (for now, this stuff will probably go into the HT other than the speakers):

Wilson Watt Puppy 6's

Krell KAV 5 channel amp

Krell HTS processor

I remember way back in the day when the common thought was all CD players sound the same. I know that is obviously not true BUT I am surprised how good this DVD player sounds. Unless, I can get a substantial improvement in sound (for under $2K hopefully), I will buy another one or similar model and get some mods done to it....(probably the way to go?)

Thanks for reading...

Mark

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
How about a Sony SACD player?

They do an excellent job with regular CDs and will open the door to even greater audio enjoyment in the higher resolution SACDs. Check out the Sony 555ES and 777ES, I believe both fit you price range.

Second choice (for me) would be a DVD-Audio player. Check out units from Denon, SimMoon, etc.

If you want to stick with just CD then have a listen to the SimMoon and Rega CD players. The Rega Planet is widely considered to be one of the best players availabe and costs under a grand. However, they also have a Jupiter model that is supposed to be even better.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Brown
Best CD Player?
Try Linn Sondek CD-12 or Linn Ikemi

·
Registered
232 Posts
I completely agree with Jerry about the Linn Sondek CD-12. I've had one since they were introduced, couldn't be more pleased with it.

Kevin

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

My first choice is to buy a CD Player from my local dealer as I buy a lot of things from him and he is great to deal with. I love to be able to take stuff home and audition it. It is nice to have an authorized dealer behind the products as well!

When I recently toasted my Krell KAV1500, I was happy to have him deal with shipping back this heavy monster to krell and get it fixed under warranty.

He carries Meridian, Krell, Classe and a bunch of other stuff.

If I do not get a player from him, then I will probably go with a modified Pioneer or Panasonic one from Modwright.

I am shocked how good my Panasonic stock A7 sounds through the Krell HTS. Someone on this board informed me that as the Krell does not have true analogue pass throughs it will be difficult to tell differences. I think he is right.

Although the difference between the Panasonic and the Krell CD Player via the digital connection was striking. I liked the Panasonic better and the difference was very apparent.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.