AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any CECB that I could plug the electric outlet of a Television into, so that when the box powers on it also powers on the television, like a component receiver turns on the aux unit that's plugged into it?

My television is a Sony circa late 70's or early 80's, and is in excellent condition. It just was made before remote controls were standard, so a CECB's universal remote function would still make it impossible to power it on or off.

Also, is there any box that controls its own volume, so that I could just leave the television's volume lever (yes, lever) at one position and be able to control the volume from the remote? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glados /forum/post/14186439

Is there any CECB that I could plug the electric outlet of a Television into, so that when the box powers on it also powers on the television, like a component receiver turns on the aux unit that's plugged into it?

My television is a Sony circa late 70's or early 80's, and is in excellent condition. It just was made before remote controls were standard, so a CECB's universal remote function would still make it impossible to power it on or off.

Also, is there any box that controls its own volume, so that I could just leave the television's volume lever (yes, lever) at one position and be able to control the volume from the remote? Thanks for any help!

There is no CECB that has power receptacle.

Zenith or Insignia boxes have volume control, though it may no give the same full range as tv volume control.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I think all of the cecbs have volume controls; however, some may have volume control problems, based on what I've seen in these threads, so you might be a little careful about that, and - if you're considering a particular unit - pose a question in the thread for that unit about how well the volume levels work if you use the cecb volume control...

·
Registered
965 Posts
My mother used a Radio Shack device to turn off/on the light next to her bed. This would also work. They still selling the Clapper?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/14186687

I think all of the cecbs have volume controls.

Not all. The OP should look for one that does.  I can say first-hand that the Zenith/Insignia and Digital Stream models do.

None seem to have AC outlets to plug the TV into; I've asked about that before.  It would be nice not to have to string both cords all the way to the outlet nor to add an extension cord to one's purchases, even if the box's remote wouldn't shut off power to the outlet.

So it will still be necessary to go to the TV itself to turn it on and off or to add a third device for that, such as the Clapper as recommended above.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt /forum/post/14188576

Pets such as dogs and birds will interfere with the Clapper. I like that remote controlled power outlet, that was mentioned above by JCS444, as a good solution.

I think you must have bought the Bark-on/Bark-off that was mispackaged.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go with the Zenith. I'm going to pass on the clapper and the remote outlet for now though. Hope the old Sony doesn't mind all this digital stuff on its screen! The buttons I set for all the local channels will now be useless, sigh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts