AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which CECB do you recommend for me? This is the set of features I want:

Price:

Must be no more than $60 before coupon ($20 after coupon). The lower, the better.

Picture Format:

I have a standard 4:3 TV, and I need to be able to set cropping on a per-channel basis. In other words, I might want Channel 11 cropped for 4:3, but not Channel 39.

Video Output:

Composite is acceptable. I have never seen a significant increase in quality with S-Video, so I don't really care about it. I do not want to use RF, however, I want the feature available for my secondary TV.

Volume Control:

I need a volume control on the box for my secondary TV. This TV does not have a remote, so it would be a useful feature.

EPG:

I'd like to have a full grid EPG, at least for a few hours, though hopefully longer. Must give program name and description. The longer, the better.

TV Power:

This would be useful. However, it is not necessary. I would not disqualify a CECB just because it doesn't control the TV power. The features listed above are more important to me.

Features I would never use:

Analog Pass-Through

Smart Antenna

VCR Timer

Thank you very much for any feedback.

·
Registered
72 Posts
these two links should help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

this one was given to me by system2000 and was very helpful:

http://www.solidsignal.com/dtv2009/c...nverter/boxes/

since you require a full epg the zenith is out of the question because it only provides a now/next epg. I remember seeing boxes that controlled the tv volume but I don't remember which one right now. You are aware that the boxes have volume control integrated right? that you could just turn up your tv volume to the max and control the box volume instead of your tv volume.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the Digital Stream models may work for your requirements...it does have separate controls for TV on/off and volume, and several choices for aspect ratio.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by someperson42 /forum/post/15581475

Which CECB do you recommend for me? This is the set of features I want:

Price:

Must be no more than $60 before coupon ($20 after coupon). The lower, the better.

Picture Format:

I have a standard 4:3 TV, and I need to be able to set cropping on a per-channel basis. In other words, I might want Channel 11 cropped for 4:3, but not Channel 39.

Video Output:

Composite is acceptable. I have never seen a significant increase in quality with S-Video, so I don't really care about it. I do not want to use RF, however, I want the feature available for my secondary TV.

Volume Control:

I need a volume control on the box for my secondary TV. This TV does not have a remote, so it would be a useful feature.

EPG:

I'd like to have a full grid EPG, at least for a few hours, though hopefully longer. Must give program name and description. The longer, the better.

TV Power:

This would be useful. However, it is not necessary. I would not disqualify a CECB just because it doesn't control the TV power. The features listed above are more important to me.

Features I would never use:

Smart Antenna

VCR Timer

Thank you very much for any feedback.

Other than the next/now program guide the Zenith/Insignia twins meet all your criteria. I would especially call your attention to the aspect ratio settings on the Zenith/Insignia models. Once you choose a setting for a channel the Zenith/Insignia twins remember that setting for that channel until you change the setting for that channel. Zeniths are $49.99 at KMart and Bi-Mart (an OR/WA/ID chain store).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If the Aspect Ratio setting is a major requirement, I believe the Zenith/Insignia is going to be your only choice.

If the stations would implement the Automatic Aspect ratio, there are a few choices that will fill the bill. Off the top of my head the DT502 would be one choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsd_us3r /forum/post/15581608

You are aware that the boxes have volume control integrated right? that you could just turn up your tv volume to the max and control the box volume instead of your tv volume.

That's exactly what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by systems2000 /forum/post/15582188

If the Aspect Ratio setting is a major requirement, I believe the Zenith/Insignia is going to be your only choice.

Really? There aren't any others that have this feature? Are there at least any that will zoom-in on 16:9 channels while not altering 4:3 channels?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are but they don't excel doing it like Zenith does. They crop out part of the image or use incorrect aspect ratios this meaning that for example part of a tv logo might not be visible or you might see an image streched kind like the coneheads. If I were you I would buy a box in a retail store like bestbuy where you can buy the box test it and return and exchange it for a different one. Best Buy has the insignia which is a Zenith clone and the Apex DT502.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
As far as I know, the Zenith is the only CECB that lets you set aspect ratio individually by channel -- and retain it for that channel. It is a nice feature. The EPG is only now/next, but it's kind of nice in that you can look during commercials and not leave the channel you are watching. Sometimes the data needs to be refreshed, but if you flip through stations and pause about two seconds per station, you can do all that during a commercial, plus have time to see what's on. The detail/display info has plenty of detail, but it is on a different button on the remote, and you have to be on the channel to see it. That works for me, but I do like the CM7000 EPG, it's fast and reliable, and you do have to change channel, but the detail is there too. The DTVPal in my DMA has too many stations with too much info, and it keeps dropping info so it ends up with less than the 12 hour EPG of the CM7000. The SVid connection is most noticeable when there is text on the screen, it takes away the shimmy.

All will have composite and RF. Not all supply composite cables. Zenith does.

For smaller TVs (~20"), I like the volume control on the Zenith remote. It's best if you can be close to 100% on CECB volume, but you can set TV volume so there is room to adjust up or down on the Zenith remote. For my 32" TV, the volume for all my devices is my receiver, so I use a learning remote and program it that way.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have several channels that are broadcasting only 4:3 and (if I have my APEX units set to 16:9) those channels are still sent to the television in 4:3.

The APEX units also supply composite and RF cables. The DT502 has a FULL EPG that shows it goes for at least a week, but I haven't found any EPG info being supplied beyond 48 hours.

If the stations ever implement "Auto Aspect" or "Set By Program," the APEX units will be able to change ratios accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts