AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I'm looking for a good center as well. I have a set of floor standing Energy CF50. I'm looking at the Energy CC10 and Infinity Primus PC351 Three-way dual 5-1/4-Inch Speaker. Not sure which to buy yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Guys I miss up. I have a POLK Monitor 15C Center not a C10.


I should mention my set-up.

I have:

-2 Polk 65Ts (about 10 ft apart)

-Polk Monitor 15C is on my TV stand lowest shelf and slightly off centered (about 4-5 inches to the left)

-Klipsch RW-12D (to the right of my TV about 6 feet away)

-2 Polk OMW5


My crossover was set to 40hz from my Audyssey but I switched it to 80hz (it helped a little)

And my sofa is about 12 feet away from my TV.


Is my 15C too weak for my set-up?


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,872 Posts
Raise your center and center it. Also angle toward ear level. Then rerun audyssey. If it still sucks then consider moving up to the 25c center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23317143


You want your front speakers to match. Your existing center speaker might be fine if you positioned it better.
I will as soon as I get home, but out of curiosity why do you want recommend my center to match my side towers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synplex  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23317171


I will as soon as I get home, but out of curiosity why do you want recommend my center to match my side towers?
It's called timbre matching (look it up).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23316769


I'm looking for a good center as well. I have a set of floor standing Energy CF50. I'm looking at the Energy CC10 and Infinity Primus PC351 Three-way dual 5-1/4-Inch Speaker. Not sure which to buy yet

If you have Energy CF speakers then you want the CC-10 center. The Infinity is not a timbre match to your Energy towers.

This is a good price for the CC-10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENERGY-CC-10-CC10-HIGH-END-CENTER-CHANNEL-SPEAKER-NO-EXCUSES-MINT-3-OF-4-/161026367630?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item257deb608e



Now if you plan to replace your CF-50 speakers with Infinity P363 towers then get the PC 351 center to match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23317307


It's called timbre matching (look it up).
I've heard of timbre matching before, but last night I finally read a couple in depth articles about it. And I can definitely see why people really suggestion to sticking to a specific Model and series. Which I did (Polk 65ts and 15C) ,but after moving my center channel to the exact center position and up to just under ear level it still sounds a bit small (after re-running Audyssey).

My 65ts are drowning it out with bass and ambient noise (Loud Mids). My 15C produces loud voices but they seem a bit muffled, not crisp and i feel like Im getting more mid tones and less highs. Voices sound a bit deeper then I remember on shows I've seen for years.

Is there just a way to raise treble on my Denon E300? Would that help?

My crossover for my center and front is set to 80 hz my Subs cross over is set to 120hz.

What should I try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23317643


If you have Energy CF speakers then you want the CC-10 center. The Infinity is not a timbre match to your Energy towers.

This is a good price for the CC-10..

Thanks afrogt. I actually purchased the CC10 off the link you suggested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synplex  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23321211


I've heard of timbre matching before, but last night I finally read a couple in depth articles about it. And I can definitely see why people really suggestion to sticking to a specific Model and series. Which I did (Polk 65ts and 15C) ,but after moving my center channel to the exact center position and up to just under ear level it still sounds a bit small (after re-running Audyssey).

My 65ts are drowning it out with bass and ambient noise (Loud Mids). My 15C produces loud voices but they seem a bit muffled, not crisp and i feel like Im getting more mid tones and less highs. Voices sound a bit deeper then I remember on shows I've seen for years.

Is there just a way to raise treble on my Denon E300? Would that help?

My crossover for my center and front is set to 80 hz my Subs cross over is set to 120hz.

What should I try?

Number of things you can try.


1st make sure your CC is working properly,,,,,hook it up to a left or right channel and play music or something you're familiar with.

If it doesn't sound right, a bad driver/tweeter will show itself.


You can try w/o Audyssey.....turn it off, purchase or borrow a SPL meter and set all channel levels the same.

Set speakers to small, x-over @ 80 and give that a try.


Altho no one asked, what is your room layout? Open concept, vaulted ceilings or even hardwood floors by any chance?

That can be a problem very easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synplex  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23321211


I've heard of timbre matching before, but last night I finally read a couple in depth articles about it. And I can definitely see why people really suggestion to sticking to a specific Model and series. Which I did (Polk 65ts and 15C) ,but after moving my center channel to the exact center position and up to just under ear level it still sounds a bit small (after re-running Audyssey).

My 65ts are drowning it out with bass and ambient noise (Loud Mids). My 15C produces loud voices but they seem a bit muffled, not crisp and i feel like Im getting more mid tones and less highs. Voices sound a bit deeper then I remember on shows I've seen for years.

Is there just a way to raise treble on my Denon E300? Would that help?

My crossover for my center and front is set to 80 hz my Subs cross over is set to 120hz.

What should I try?

I think you may just need the larger 25C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23321600


Number of things you can try.


1st make sure your CC is working properly,,,,,hook it up to a left or right channel and play music or something you're familiar with.

If it doesn't sound right, a bad driver/tweeter will show itself.


You can try w/o Audyssey.....turn it off, purchase or borrow a SPL meter and set all channel levels the same.

Set speakers to small, x-over @ 80 and give that a try.


Altho no one asked, what is your room layout? Open concept, vaulted ceilings or even hardwood floors by any chance?

That can be a problem very easily.

Thanks for the info. The Room is 22x15' with vaulted ceiling and carpet flooring. the speakers are about 13 feet away from the sofa.

I uploaded some quick pics I took.


I just miss that crisp clean vocal I got from my samsung soundbar. It wasn't loud and barely had any boom but for show with alot or talking it was great. This new set up is definitely powerful and bassy, with some great mids and lows but the high tones and vocal seem lost.


Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
After you run audyssey. You can go in and adjust the trim levels of each speaker. So I suggest try raising the center channel by 3db from whatever Audyssey set it to, see if that helps. I have an SPL meter and at the main listening position I have my front L&R set at 75db, Center at 78db, surrounds&surround backs at 72db, and each of my 2 subs at 75db then bumped up 3db. I also use Audyssey and Dynamic EQ with ref level set to 15db. With these settings my speakers all blend together nicely and dialog is very clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synplex  /t/1472724/best-center-channel-under-200-polk-15c-currently#post_23321785


Thanks for the info. The Room is 22x15' with vaulted ceiling and carpet flooring. the speakers are about 13 feet away from the sofa.

I uploaded some quick pics I took.


I just miss that crisp clean vocal I got from my samsung soundbar. It wasn't loud and barely had any boom but for show with alot or talking it was great. This new set up is definitely powerful and bassy, with some great mids and lows but the high tones and vocal seem lost.


Thanks for your help.

Well, the 1st problem you have is you are sitting 13' away.....ideally you would have your speakers 10-13' apart which it doesn't look like they are.

Swap your sub and right speaker and center everything. It may not be 10' but at least it will help.


Next i would pull out your L&R speakers past the stand.....make sure your center is at least to the edge of the stand and re-run Audyssey.

It might be compensating for the diffraction you're getting running your main speakers that far back.


Placement is usually very basic but very key into getting good sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
It's fair to say sound is subjective to people but i own a CS20 and its anything but flat(if that's even a bad thing?) When it comes to drownding out bass if you don't have a 80hz crossover do it. And like everyone else is saying stick to matching your front stage. Try a 25C speaker. Also i owned the CS10 and it was fine for probably the 40,30,50's but not the 60's and 70's so i would return the 15C or sell it and get a 25C center also polk has some good deals on the Polk CS2 on their polkdirect site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CS2-BLACK-Center-Channel-Speaker-Polk-Audio-NEW-/360643241993?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item53f8032809
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top