AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have decided to purchase the klipsch hersey III's and sell my existing systme. My question is what would be the best center to use with the Hersey III's? I cant go with another Hersey III for lack of space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts
Definitely post this at the Klispch forums in the Klipsch HT subforum. This sort of question comes up often as there are not really any centers for the Heritage speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14305092


Another Heresy III..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicyj /forum/post/14304151


I cant go with another Hersey III for lack of space.

......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
I know he stated that he doesn't have the space but the question was what's the best center channel. There is no other option that will have any hope of being timbre matched.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14305288


I know he stated that he doesn't have the space but the question was what's the best center channel. There is no other option that will have any hope of being timbre matched.

yeah


phantom center may be best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14305411


I'll second the phantom center as the only thing i know of that would match would be

another III.

Tough one. Customers who have purchased H3's from me have used a third H-3 as a center. If there is absolutely no way, you could use a KL-650, the THX Ultra 2 center. It at least has a prayer of keeping up with the H-3's, has a similar frequency response range, and has a very smooth horn with exceptional dynamics. Academy centers are hard to come by.


Sure you can't re-arrange things to use a third H-3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/14305646


Sure you can't re-arrange things to use a third H-3?

On its side is not really an option, btw, juicyj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
I know what a lot of people say about that but there are a few Klipsch forum members who use Heresys on their side for a center channel. But I agree that Phantom center may be the way to go. I use it with my fortes and am happy for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14305764


I know what a lot of people say about that but there are a few Klipsch forum members who use Heresys on their side for a center channel.

I know. I've stirred up some trouble over there regarding it, too. The "vertical Cornwall" is often cited as a speaker which had vertically oriented horns when used as intended. But it is often laid on its side for center use, now.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/5...px?PageIndex=1

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/4...25.aspx#407125
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Sivadselim, you wouldn't stir up trouble, no way. I actually haven't tried to do the sideways thing myself so cannot say whether it works or not. I have four Fortes right now and will eventually try to find a fifth if the problems I've heard about are an issue I'll just remake the front baffle and reorient the horns. But that's a little OT.


Juicyj you might try some of the older centers out there but other than the academy or a heresy you just won't get a real good match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/14306627


Sivadselim, you wouldn't stir up trouble, no way.



Just by looking at a horn's orientation you can clearly (to me anyway) discern its dispersion characteristics. Seems much more apparent than the dispersion characteristics of a "standard" speaker. How that "vertical Cornwall" worked well is a mystery to me....... sort of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14306723




How that "vertical Cornwall" worked well is a mystery to me....... sort of.

Remember when the Vert Cornwalls were made. They were designed for stereo use where the listener sat in one spot (the sweet spot) to listen. Having them vertically oriented will significantly narrow the horizontal dispersion. For single person stereo listening, limited horizontal dispersion has advantages, the most obvious being less sidewall reflection. It will work as a center IF you are a 1 or 2 person movie watcher. If, however, you have more people watching and need more coverage to the sides (3 or more seats), a center with limited horizontal dispersion won't work well for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/14307658


It will work as a center IF you are a 1 or 2 person movie watcher. If, however, you have more people watching and need more coverage to the sides (3 or more seats), a center with limited horizontal dispersion won't work well for you.

But people lay them on their sides now for center use. Orients the horns "correctly". They are highly sought after for this reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/14305646


Tough one. Customers who have purchased H3's from me have used a third H-3 as a center. If there is absolutely no way, you could use a KL-650, the THX Ultra 2 center. It at least has a prayer of keeping up with the H-3's, has a similar frequency response range, and has a very smooth horn with exceptional dynamics. Academy centers are hard to come by.


Sure you can't re-arrange things to use a third H-3?

What kind of A/V furniture has your customers gone with given that they have 3 H3's? I am having tough time finding a suitable solution. Right now, I plan on wall mounting the TV and having two separate A/V racks with the H3 Center in between.


-Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o /forum/post/17685583


What kind of A/V furniture has your customers gone with given that they have 3 H3's? I am having tough time finding a suitable solution. Right now, I plan on wall mounting the TV and having two separate A/V racks with the H3 Center in between.

Hey, Bill. Realize that you are responding to a post that is almost a year and a half old, so you may or may not get a response. Your plan sounds like a good plan to me, btw.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top