AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best center speaker, which one...................

I just bought an Panasonic SAXR-57K, the black version receiver.

I still got Bose Acoustimass 5 series speakers. It's stereo, no surroundds and am not really looking for one. BUT I NEED A REAL GOOD CENTER SPEAKER.

When I watch movies the peoples' voices in the movie I could hardly hear, and gets real ass loud when something happens i.e. explosions, crashing, breaking stuff. I hate that to death. I want super loud clear voices. Which center speaker will do best at it?

Is Boston VRCB center speaker real good? It's $400.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bosto...oductDetail.do

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
Ideally, the center should match the timbre of the L/R speakers and that is best accomplished by having it be from same line of the same manufacturer. I do not know of any that will match the speaker you have except another Acoustimass 5.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0

Ideally, the center should match the timbre of the L/R speakers and that is best accomplished by having it be from same line of the same manufacturer. I do not know of any that will match the speaker you have except another Acoustimass 5.

Hey Kal thanks for the reply..

Are you implying I can have another set of Bose Acoutimass 5 series to be added? like.. use one of the cube speakers as a center and add the sub to an exsisting sub? hmm I was thinking about that a little... but I wasn't sure. Is this what you mean? I don't think those little dinky cube speakers will do the job for center channel... I donno... help.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts
I will reserve my feelings about "those little dinky cube speakers" but one of the AM-5s would be an ideal match to the others. I do not know anything about how these Bose speaker modules and woofer modules connect but I have heard that the woofer attaches to the amp and the satellites to the woofer. If so, you would connect the new woofer+module to the center channel output of the AVR, giving you an almost full-range center channel. Just a thought.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kal, the Bose sub connections on the back requires left and right inputs from the receiver. The center output port on the receiver is only one, so I don't see how I'm going to get full sound out of it. Either I would have to plug it in left or right channel on the Bose's back panel of the sub.

armystud, are you referring to this one?

Looks nice.. But I don't think it's as powerful as the $400 Boston VRCB center channel speaker. I want extremely loud clean voices.... even louder than the other effects coming from the left and right channel front speakers.. I'm so sick of having low voice sound levels... Any comments or suggestions please feel free to add!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you configure your receiver for 2.0 or 2.1 channel mode? If not, it may be defaulting to a speaker configuration that includes a center channel, and sending voice information to a speaker that's not there. That might be why you can't hear the dialog. Just an idea.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez /forum/post/0

Kal, the Bose sub connections on the back requires left and right inputs from the receiver. The center output port on the receiver is only one, so I don't see how I'm going to get full sound out of it. Either I would have to plug it in left or right channel on the Bose's back panel of the sub.

Nope. Get a Y-cable to connect the single center output of the AVR to both the right and left inputs on the Bose.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:

Looks nice.. But I don't think it's as powerful as the $400 Boston VRCB center channel speaker. I want extremely loud clean voices.... even louder than the other effects coming from the left and right channel front speakers.. I'm so sick of having low voice sound levels... Any comments or suggestions please feel free to add!

If you want LOUD, all you have to do is turn up the center level. Adding a so-called more powerful but unmatched center may make center voices more distinct but at the price of integration with the rest of the sounds.

Of course, if you were really serious, you'd dump the AM-5s for real speakers, so ignore my comments, if you choose.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMed427 /forum/post/0

If you want a quality center channel and base the rest of your system on that take a look at Onix Rockets. Their Bigfoot is regarded as one of the best centerchannels in its price range and far above. http://www.**********/products_produc...rs&product=6.1

That definitely looks to be an high-end. I'm convinced. I love that beautiful wood finish! I saw the specs and my jaw dropped. That damn thing weighs almost 50 lbs!!

I'm going to order this one... I suppose it's not available in local?

I also looked at.... Holly $#!t..... http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=46.1 Drools Drools..... That'll be my future speaker system.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

Quote:

That definitely looks to be an high-end. I'm convinced. I love that beautiful wood finish! I saw the specs and my jaw dropped. That damn thing weighs almost 50 lbs!!

It is a real beast. It will shake the room. Wish I could get it, but it's so huge I don't have a place to put it.

·
The Village Idiot
9,756 Posts
Take a look at this one on Emo Lounge. I have one and find it to be very clear with excellent FR. You could pay more and get less.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
For $450 you can get 3 KEF iQ3; a good centre speaker and two good matching fronts.

It would be a HUGE, giagantic, enormous improvement from what you have.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/16099524

For $450 you can get 3 KEF iQ3; a good centre speaker and two good matching fronts.

It would be a HUGE, giagantic, enormous improvement from what you have.

Bingo! Great idea. The OP can probably finance a lot of that by selling the Bose stuff.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd vote for a Danley Sound Labs SH-96. Yeah, okay so it is 46 inches tall and at 25" deep, probably deeper than his TV (plus it weighs 215 lbs so it might crush the TV) and it runs $7900...and sure, level matching will be a ***** at 101 DB efficiency, but I figure if it is good enough for I-Max then it should be adequate for him. I sell them, so take this with a grain of NaCL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.