AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I need some help in deciding on a Center for under $200. For the following or whatever else you guys can think of since I am a new to this.

1. JBL S-Center

2. Klipsch RC-3

3. Acoustic Research AR4C

·
Registered
41 Posts
It really depends on what you have for front speakers. You would want your center speaker to match your fronts as closely as possible so that sound moving from left to center to right wont sound any different as it changes from one speaker to the next.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have the Polk csi20. Its ok, but sounds a little muddy but has better lows than others in its price range.. Just go to a few stores and listen to some to see what you like. Remember, you want to listen to voices on them, not music.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The best center channel speaker will be another speaker identical to your front left and right speakers.

If that is not practical or if you need magnetic shielding, the second best option would be the center channel speaker that is part of the same brand/model lineup as your front speakers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My fronts are old Digital Designs Monitors DDM 26-OB impedance 8ohms, power 100watts. I called Digital Designs and was told they do not yet have a center. The guy was fairly knowledgeable and told me to buy any center with 5 to 5 1/2 " cones because the digital designs have a 6 inch cone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello anyone willing to help decide??????

My fronts are old Digital Designs Monitors DDM 26-OB impedance 8ohms, power 100watts. I called Digital Designs and was told they do not yet have a center. The guy was fairly knowledgeable and told me to buy any center with 5 to 5 1/2 " cones because the digital designs have a 6 inch cone.

1. JBL S-Center

2. Klipsch RC-3

3. Acoustic Research AR4C

4. Anything else

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Its really hard to help people with speakers, as everyones listening preference is different. Can only advise to listen to your current speakers and then go listen to center channel speakers in stores and buy one that has the same qualities as your fronts, i.e. smooth, bright, warm, etc.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkb
Hello anyone willing to help decide??????

Let us pray that their speaker designer is more knowledgeable than their tech support guys!

Rather than matching your old speakers, you might want to decide on a new set of five speakers and buy the center channel from that package to get started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.