AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3 with HDMI lossless audio and I am looking for a cheap HTiB solution that can take advantage of this and give me the best sound quality for a cheap price until I buy a new house later this year. I'd like to keep this purchase under $300 for 6months-1yr and then upgrade to a complete home audio solution later, using the latest technology. Are there any cheap HDMI HTiB options out there, or anything that might come out within the next several months? So far what I see in this price range doesn't take full advantage of HDMI, unless I'm missing something. Anything cool announced at CES worth waiting for?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
found it, it's the sony HT-7200DH, retails for $499.

I am seriously considering the Panasonic SC-PT760 simply because of the wireless rears which a big plus for me. It can also be had for $359 @ BB and CC right now and has good reviews

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Panasonic ones you mentioned are beautiful. Wireless rear speakers are a huge bonus as well.

However the SC-PT660, seem to be the exact same without the wireless rear speakers. Also $100 less than the SC-PT760s.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nFerno /forum/post/13935202

The Panasonic ones you mentioned are beautiful. Wireless rear speakers are a huge bonus as well.

However the SC-PT660, seem to be the exact same without the wireless rear speakers. Also $100 less than the SC-PT760s.

Good to hear!

But the wireless rears are totally worth it for me...besides it's my college graduation gift

·
Registered
13 Posts
I could be running off bad info, i really know nothing about audio but will be buying a panny plasma and have discounts when bundled with panny sound systems. whats been getting my attention is the lack of hdmi in/out puts they have. the panny 660 doesnt have any hdmi from what ive read, mostly just from bb and cc websites given, but the 760 has hdmi in and out. Is that information correct or does this even matter? the wireless rear receiver is a big selling point for me as well but id feel stupid if i bought a setup for the wireless rear speakers to avoid clutter and then end up getting overrun with wires behind the tv and a dozen different procedures to get good sound for each different way i use the tv. would the 760 be good for simplicity and have good sound? the home theatre setup will be used for laptop, tv, and xbox so i figured it would be simple and best just to keep everything hdmi, run all three to the tv then the tv to the receiver. is this at all feasible and logical?

·
Registered
31 Posts
SCPT-760 does not have any hdmi inputs, it does have an hdmi output though b/c there is an upconverting dvd player built in to the system. As you said, you can run everything into the tv via hdmi and utilize the optical output of the tv to run into the optical input of the Htib. This system sounds great for what it is. I would greatly consider the SCPT-960 as it adds bigger speakers, more power, and floors stands for both the front and the rear speakers. Retail on the 960 is 499. Most sellers are running $200 of Panny Htib w/ purchase of select TV sets.

·
Registered
909 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga /forum/post/9542944

I have a PS3 with HDMI lossless audio and I am looking for a cheap HTiB solution that can take advantage of this and give me the best sound quality for a cheap price until I buy a new house later this year. I'd like to keep this purchase under $300 for 6months-1yr and then upgrade to a complete home audio solution later, using the latest technology. Are there any cheap HDMI HTiB options out there, or anything that might come out within the next several months? So far what I see in this price range doesn't take full advantage of HDMI, unless I'm missing something. Anything cool announced at CES worth waiting for?

I don't think there is an HTIB solution in your budget range that will support audio. The PS3 does not have analog outs so you will not be able to enjoy lossless audio. This includes the aforementioned Onkyo HTS 5100.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 /forum/post/13952605

I don't think there is an HTIB solution in your budget range that will support audio. The PS3 does not have analog outs so you will not be able to enjoy lossless audio. This includes the aforementioned Onkyo HTS 5100.

I have to agree. I don't think you're going to find a receiver in this price range that actually processes HDMI audio, and that's not even talking about a complete system. What a lot of systems in this range are going to have is HDMI passthrough, which is strictly for video. You will still need to connect your audio via optical or digital coaxial.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Okay....does anyone actually have the panny sc pt760? We purchased one yesterday....it is still in the box. I posted a few things in some threads yesterday but have had no replies. Sort of a newbie in the audio area. What are the benefits of having a system that cvonnects the audio and visual thru hdmi? The salesperson I spoke with told me that no system uses both thru hdmi. I told him that I read that some did and he then said that maybe some highend setups might.

We have a 46xbr4 with an hd dvr with FIOS. What is the best way to hook it up for the best audio/visual experience? Should we get a different system? The wireless rears will make our installation more simplified. Any info appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Only the ones that do hdmi audio can do the hd audio from the ps3. But you could say that if the speakers aren't that great, it won't matter. Plus, sometimes the sound will shut off with the tv. It's a simple one cable connection for audio & video though. Hdmi for video & digital audio for audio isn't so bad though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what you have said, you are looking for a cheap "temporary" solution. You want to spend $300 now, throw it away in a year, and buy something better in the future. My advice would be to buy an Onkyo 605 (if you can find one) or a 606 now and buy cheap speakers. That will keep you close to your budget and allow for you to only upgrade the speakers in the future as both of these amps will decode the audio from HDMI. I would not recommend buying anything that you don't plan to keep. Both of these Onkyo amps are worth keeping and building a complete system off of.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think if you want something under $300 that passes HDMI audio/video that is temporary (or can be passed to a bedroom with a TV that has HDMI) you should go with the Sony CT100. It's just a sound bar that you put under or over your TV and a subwoofer so no wires to run to your couch. The sound bar has 3 speakers inside so it's a 3.1 that's supposed to simulate surround sound. It definitely is an improvement over TV speakers. It also processes the latest codecs for your PS3, DTS-MA. Here's the thread on it. Anyone have any questions let me know.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1000281

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.