AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two Bose 201 speakers and a Bose VCS-10 center (before I discovered this forum, and most members' apparent low opinion of Bose's bang for the buck). I bought them as fronts for my bedroom system-Sherwood 100W DTS receiver, Yamaha YST-SW305 Sub, 5 year old Bose 201s in back, 31" Proscan monitor.

I'm starting to think I may have been able to do better with a speaker brand other than Bose for the new fronts and center. I use the system 75% for DVD/Satellite movies and 25% for music. The room is 16"x11".

I purchased the new Bose 201's and Bose Center at Circuit City, who will allow 100% trade in on other speakers for up to a year after the purchase. For up to $150 (each) for the fronts and $200 for the center, what would you all recommend I trade these in for to improve my bedroom system?

(I run NHTs in my family room system, which naturally sound much better.)

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Check out JBL's N or S series speakers. I believe they are sold by CC and are in that price range...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would check out the Polk's at CC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, It looks like I may be boxed in having purchased at Circuit City. Checking their web site, of the recommendations here so far, they only sell Polks. I think I will go listen to the Polk RTi28s and RTi38s and the CSi20 and CSi30 centers to see if they are an improvement on the Bose 201s and VCS-10 center I bought for my bedroom system.

Any other suggestions in my situation and having to upgrade only at Circuit City? Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gai Pan, by coincidence I just got home from the local CC and had listened to most of what they had to offer, and it was the Infinitys that sounded best to my ear, more natural than the Polks and way better than the Bose I bought. I'm leaning at this point toward returning the Bose 201s and Bose Center in favor of the Infinity "Alpha 20" bookshelf and the "Alpha Center". A bit more money but a lot better more full range sound.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool. I'm sure you'll be very happy with those. Never hesitate to spend a little more for something that sounds much better to you. You'll be listening to whatever you decide on for a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.