AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if any of the 42-53" widescreen RPTVs are better than others for use with satellite (DirecTV) receivers. I would be using a basic (non HDTV) Hughes receiver and the S-Video connection.

Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not that I am aware of. The only thing to consider (maybe), is if the screen modes supported by your TV complement the modes supported by your receiver and allow you to get the "look" most pleasing to you for 4:3 material.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Make sure you get a chance to see what a regular SD DirecTv picture looks like when its spread across a big-screen RPTV before you buy. It's not pretty. I generally use my Tosh 65H80 for HD and DVD viewing and an old 31" direct-view RCA for SD. DirecTv doesn't look very good on a large display. The bandwidth just isn't there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the DirecTV non-HD will not look the greatest, but how about on a 43-47" RPTV at about 8+ feet away? Should be at least acceptable, no?

Chris

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have a Toshiba 43H71 with DirecTV at about 8 feet. It is tolerable, yes. It is bad much of time, which is entirely DirecTV's fault in my opinion. If you buy a digital set, you absolutely positively must disable scan velocity modulation on it and tone down the brightness and contrast to manageable levels.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.