AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need help deciding which speaker would work best. My main purpose for use is gaming and movies. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. The Klipsch RF 82's or the B&W 683. The Klipsch rating for sensitivity is 98, while the B&W is rated at 90. I am fairly new to all of this and any feedback would be welcome.

thnx,

Gavo149

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Klipsch sensitivity rating is exaggerated. It won't be close to 98 dB. Even so, it is no weakling, it will still undoubtedly have greater dynamic range than the B&W speakers. In a large room, they may be more appropriate. In a medium or smaller room, either will be fine. Neither would be my first choice at their price points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback......I did actually audition the B&W's at the local best buy....but in my opinion, this is not a good place to listen to a speaker. the magnolia room is small and cramped with other speakers. What other speakers would you recommend in this price range?

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
For gaming and movies the klipsch are very nice regardless of price. For music many like them, many do not.

When I demoed them at a magnolia I didn't like them for music. But after trying them in my home they sound great with music and are incredible for movies.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavo149  /t/1523571/best-choice-for-front-speakers#post_24514223

thanks for the feedback......I did actually audition the B&W's at the local best buy....but in my opinion, this is not a good place to listen to a speaker. the magnolia room is small and cramped with other speakers. What other speakers would you recommend in this price range?

For a full range speaker pair at those prices (1200 to 1500), I might be looking at some KEF Q700s. I would give the JBL Studio 580s or 570s a chance. If you don't absolutely need tower speakers, a subwoofer or two and some bookshelf speakers would actually be higher performers. I might swing for a couple Reaction BPS 212 Turbo subs , and a couple decent bookshelf speakers, say some Klipsch RB-61 s, Ascend CMT-340 s, JBL Studio 530 s. If you wanted something resembling tower speakers, you could just place the bookshelf speakers on top of the subs, and viola, you have a tower speaker, except with far better performance. You could also get a Hsu Hybrid 2 2.1 package and tack on another VTF2 subwoofer , which is a good choice if you are interested in very deep bass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In regards to my previous post....I did a demo on the rf-82's and the b&w 683 at a high end audio store.....here are the results.

The appearance of the rf-82's was bulky and unattractive, these speakers are way too big in my opinion. The sound quality was pretty good however, but in comparison to the rf-52's that I currently own, they sounded a bit too loud. The b&w 683's sounded better, more natural. A better speaker in my opinion.

gavo149

1 - 6 of 6 Posts