AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning my dedicated home theatre in 16x23 foot room. Will have a projector. Need to also purchase a receiver. Would like to spend under $1000 if possible. I would like to have a unit that upconverts all composite and s video to component so only have 1 connection to projector. Don't presently need to hook up to computer, but I guess is a nice feature. Could care less about radio stations, etc, and don't need one that goes to other rooms. Need strictly for home theatre. Looked through threads, and those in this range appear to be Denon AVR-3803' Integra DTR-8.3, Onkyo TX-SR800 ( I can't tell if this one upconverts all to component) and Pioneer 45TX. It appears to get THX ultra 2 the best buy would be a Pioneer VSX 47TX. I can't tell if either of the Pioneers have the upconvert to component too. Also, would like a unit that automatically adjusts to type of signal coming in and adjusts to the best sound available. Being new at this, I can't tell which best fits all the requirements. Opinions?

Also am considering the Klipsch synergy System 6 speakers for the setup. Are these any good or is there a speaker set for $1000 or under that is better? Size and looks does not matter as it is a dedicated room.

Thanks for any and all input...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Best of luck for video switching capabilities that include component video for under 1000, not that it's not possible because it will be great if you can find it. As for the review type information your looking for with your receiver and speakers, go to audioreview.com. I use that site to narrow down my choices and then do further research on sites like this once I've picked something out. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Out of all the receivers you have listed the 3803 is the only one that will convert composite and S-video to component.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
1. There are dedicated video switches/converters that will do what you want.

2. When I looked at S-video -> component conversion I couldn't find any that I felt did a very good job (although this was a while ago and on a lower budget). The signals sent straight to a display by S-Video were always much cleaner than those run through a converter to the display as component. I would hope the 3803 does a better job ... but make sure to test out that conversion before setting your heart on it.

Take care and have fun ... those are some great pieces of equipment you're looking at (making me jealous ;) )

P.S. - See these threads for some more discussion on 3803 video conversion:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=200826
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...803+conversion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.