Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am very new to the HTPC scene and to this forum. I am trying to set up an HTPC and would like some help in choosing the best video card to be used with an HDTV.

Here is what I have so far:

Nforce2 MATX moboard

512 Mb Corsair PC3200 (2x256) for dual mem application

2x40Gig Maxtor 7200rpm HD thinking of setting up RAID

Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM

6-in-1 internal card reader

G-Atlantic 845 M-ATX Case

gForce ti 4200 AGP8X 128Mb video card

PHILLIPS 30" widescreen Directview TV with VGA input

I have on order an MyHD card to arrive in a few days

I chose the nvidia card because of the post and reports that I have read concerning the ease of getting custom timings with powerstrip. So i would also like to know what is the best even among the gforce cards. I also have a g4 mx420 64Mb with TV out.

Please send me some feed back.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a NVIDIA 4600 ti and ATI 9700 pro and I find its easier using the ATI card with powerstrip. But that just happens to be my case. The ATI 9700 is a great card for HTPC, but my NVIDIA card is great for gaming. If you are set on getting the Phillips direct view, I would make sure you have a set of powerstrip timings already picked out for your video card based upon what other members of the forum have stated. If someone posted their timings for your monitor and the 4200Ti, then great, get the NVIDIA. Before I bought my 9700 pro and my projector, I made certain that I could get my custom resolution on powerstrip with my ATI card on the boxlight projector.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Bigdog-1,

It depends a bit what you want to do with it: People have reported problems trying to drive a GWII HDTV using NVidia at higher resolutions, while it works like a charm with ATI cards. In other words, you probably should do a little research if others got your favorite card working with the screen you're planning to hook your HTPC to.

-Rob-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.