AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I'm coming from the plasma camp. I bought a Panasonic TH-42PZ77U last week and I just finished returning it this week.

The default picture settings were jacked up, I adjusted them to less than half of what they were using my AVIA dvd. One week of use and some light fast-action gaming and guess what....screen burn-in! Even the TV's menu cause burn in, I could see the faded menu at the top left. The playstation3 menu system was also burned-in. I saw all this when I turned off all my sources and was about to turn off the TV before going to bed.

Anyways, to hell with plasma, I'm now looking for an LCD replacement problem is I don't want to put in the amount of research I did when I chose my plasma (I had a lot of free time over the holidays)

What are the top choices for a 46" tv that will be suitable for both movies and first person shooter gaming and that has kick-ass picture quality? I guess 120hz is a must have feature also.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Either Samsung LN-T4671 or Sony 46XBR4. I don't think you will go wrong with either set although Sony will be a little more. Check them out in store to see which one you like best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LNT4671 isn't available at futureshop or bestbuy here in Canada, only the 4669 is...it that one good?

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12867084

LNT4671 isn't available at futureshop or bestbuy here in Canada, only the 4669 is...it that one good?

Does Amazon ship to Canaduh?

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it is a good set. The only real difference between the LNT4671 and the LNT4669 is the 4671 has a glossy screen with its audio speakers on the side, while the 4669 has a matte screen with its audio speakers on the bottom. Aside from that, they are virtually identical in all other areas (they even apparently use the same firmware).

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:

4669 is the same as 4671 except 4669 is a matte with speakers on the bottom instead of the sides like the 4671. They are both 120Hz.

You did talk to both stores and they sure don't carry the 71 series? Seems a little strange that they carry 69 but not the 71.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Toshiba 46RF350U underrated here by sony and sammy. Don't be fooled its a nice set!

Also a couple of newer mdls coming soon.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
There was something wrong with that panasonic if you got menu burn in...

On the LCD note I'd go with an XBR4 (though after reading a lot they seem to have a lot of issues, you may have to return 1 or 2 or 3 of them to get a good one).

You might also consider the Samsung 71 series.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
...return 1 or 2 or 3...

I can't be bothered with that man, it was a real pain in the ass to return the panny today. Luckily my brother was home to help me load, package and move it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_s /forum/post/12868630

*Edit* Just checked the samsung website apparently the 71 has a higher dynamic contrast ratio 25,000 vs 20,000

The 25,000:1 is due to glossy screen, just like the Samsung 65 has a higher contrast ratio than the Samsung 61 series. Now, is it worth the extra cash for the 71 series? I think you and only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have been looking at this Mitsubishi tv, hoping for more of a price drop. Also the Toshiba rf350, which are both thin bezels.

Mitsubishi LT-46244 LCD TV

46-inch 1080p 120Hz LCD Flat Panel HDTV

·
Registered
661 Posts
after owning the xbr4 and 71F, def 71F if you dont want ghosting issues that the xbr4 has. Plus youll save money and get better blacks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed..I have the 4671 and its pure amazing.

make sure you visit the calibration thread once you get it. mrTapouts is the best I've used yet

·
Registered
415 Posts
I went through this recently and after alot of debate and viewing these sets at the stores, the XBR was the better choice for me. I can deal with the issue on the Sony whereas the deal breaker for the Samsung was T.B.E. and judder. This is an inherent flaw that is currently not fixable. The problem can be nearly cured but there is no permanent 100% fix as of yet. In all honesty, it's not that big of a deal for people who enjoy watching a beautiful picture. Either set does that remarkably. It's the hardcores that start nitpicking at the issues, but for most of us either set is fine. POTC on the XBR looked "cleaner" to me at the store than it did on the 4671 with settings adjusted to my liking (taken from their respective threads) so i went with the Sony.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would recommend looking at the 4681 if money is no object. I know some feel the 4671 is its equal or better but I think I would look at all three to decide, The Tosh is a nice set and actually so is the 47 inch opus. I have not looked at the JVC televisions but have heard some nice things

1 - 20 of 20 Posts