AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the many software HTPC options out there, and one of the things that I have gathered is that the Xbox 360 does not support a very wide array of codecs/file formats.

I plan to eventually rip many of my DVDs and Blurays to my computer. My background in ripping is limited to my CD collection which I ripped years ago (have bought digital copies ever since) when you could use the Fraunhoffer codec at 128kb/s and get the same quality as most generic MP3 codecs at 192kb/s. With that in mind, I'm curious if going the Xbox 360 route (vs. SageTV, MythTV, etc.) will limit my encoding options and therefore lead to larger file sizes.

For example, if I shrink my collection to an average size of 4GB per DVD, I can fit about 465 DVDs on a 2TB hard drive. If I shrink them to 4.5GB per DVD, I will fit about 50 less.... which is a big deal after a large number of DVDs... even more so with Blurays.

EDIT: For the record, I looked a threads on here for this information, but surprisingly, given the large amount of helpful people on these forums that are surely ripping and encoding content every single day, there were VERY few - if any - responses to the threads I found.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not much for ripping and don't have a Xbox 360 but I believe the Xbox 360 supports H.264 video and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. You need to use something like a .mp4 container.

You can also stick with a more recognized file format such as mkv and use a program to convert to a format the Xbox 360 can play on the fly. Actually, I think it's a simple as running MCE or WMP to allow you to extend to a Xbox 360.

Peter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts