AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best compact 5.1 speaker system for around $1000-1200? Primary use is movies and music is secondary (rock, pop, electronica). The smaller the better. I've looked at the Orb audio website and the home theater system using the mod2 speakers looks like a very good buy. Anyone else have any other recommendations? What about the Infinity Modulus or the Klipsch Cinema 8 or 10?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nothing is more subjective than speakers, but check out the PSB alphas, IMHO the most bang for the buck, and I think they come in well under your budget.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, I know the Infinity TSS-750 is definately a winner for a satelitte system in its price range. So I would assume the Infinity Modulus II system is a safe investment, though to be honest I'm not sure if there's a more highly recommended system in its price range. I do know the sub that comes with the Modulus II system is supposed to be quite good compared to other subs included with satellite systems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I recommend the Onix ELT system from AV123, they have two bookshelf systems one with direct radiating rears and another with dipole rears. They're both on sale right now, the first for $800 the later for $900. They're typically $400 more for either system. Even at the MSRP price these systems are amazing for the price and flat out gorgeous. For the sale price these systems are stupid good.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
definitive technology procinemas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I've narrowed down the choices to the Definitive Technology ProCinema 100, Infinity Modulus II, and the Orb Audio People's Choice. Since the Orb Audio is internet direct, it's near impossible to do a comparison. Anyone have any experience with any of the above speaker systems?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I actually had the def.tech. 100's for over 4 years and they were great.I got the bigger sub the 200tl(still using it) and changed the center to the c2(better center).Great system for ht and music.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfab
Energy makes some excellent sub/sat systems. Priced more towards the 2,000 range though.
tfab:

Welcome to the Forum! Energy makes some nice sub/sats. Has anyone heard the new Take system?

I would be awfully tempted to look under the couch cushions for some additional change. For about $1500 street price, you can get the Totem Dreamcatcher system. It is the benchmark in the $1000 to $2000 price range...

John

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Orb People's Choice is a great buy at $999. I've had one for 2 years and love it. Their service is outstanding, too, and the 30 day home trial was the clincher for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.