AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I just bought a shiny new Samsung PN50C8000 3D plasma. I currently have an HTPC connected to it and want to create a better setup for playing my movies, but specifically my 3D Blu-ray backup ISO files.

I was looking at the WD Live Hub with the 1tb drive. My thought is to then network the rest of my library from my pc and exclusively use the WD UI to playback my media. I would be using a wired network connection.

Does this sound like a viable solution? Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Are there better units for the media interface? I'm not looking to spend more than $200.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyborg /forum/post/19622886

Would I be better off using

A HTPC based player? I have been doing some reading and it seems like xbmc will be supporting direct bluray iso playback.

XBMC will support BluRay playback, but only the main movie, not the full disc. If you want the full disk with an HTPC you will need to purchase 3rd party software such as WindDVD, TMT, or PDVD

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyborg /forum/post/19622886

Would I be better off using

A HTPC based player? I have been doing some reading and it seems like xbmc will be supporting direct bluray iso playback.

Probably not. A few months ago I started off thinking I was going to go the HTPC route, after doing some research it seemed the easiest and most reliable route was going with a Dune player; now several months later I haven't looked back. In fact I just picked up another Dune player for another room last week.

If your primary concern (as is mine) is streaming blu-ray ISOs you really can't beat the Dune. If your primary interests are in internet content or music streaming then it's probably best to look elsewhere as these are definitely weaknesses for the Dune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.