AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for my DLA G15U, and I have a Progressive Scan DVD Player.

Which is the best way to connect (without an external scaler)?

I understand that I can use the component progressive output from the dvd player to the component input of the Pj (with a standard Component cable)...

...and do I can buy a Breakout cable (Component to RGB), to connect the component progressive output of the DVD player to the VGA input of the Pj.

Which is the better option?

Thanks,

·
Registered
707 Posts
Handrade,

The connection from Progressive Component out from your DVD player to the projector can only be made via the Component input of the projector. No cable will convert the signal format to RGB by itself allowing you to view the picture via the VGA input connector of the Computer 1 input. To utilize the Computer 1 input would require you to convert your Component video signal via a transcoder to RGB. There are Progressive DVD players available that output via a VGA connector directly in RGB such as the Skyworth. This machine provides both Component interlaced, Component Progressive, VGA (RGB), as well as Y/C. The machine is region free and Macrovision free as well. Available from www.*************

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think I can answer your question, but I might be able to shed some light on it because I have a G-15 D-ILA and I don't have a scaler and have been wondering about watching DVDs.

I do have a very high quality theta DaVid DVD player but it is interlaced. It was purchased before you could get a progressive scan DVD player. I connected it to a DVDO iscan plus which has a VGA output. I connected this to the D-ILA via a breakout cable to RGB RGBHV. The picture on the D-ILA looked pretty good but not as good of course as HDTV. The iscan plus and the iscan pro models just change the interlaced to a progressive signal i.e. they are not scaled to the resolution of the D-ILA in other words you are using the scaler of the D-ILA which is not supposed to be as good as a real scaler scaling up to the native resolution of the D-ILA. This was connected to the D-ILA via the video inputs not the computer inputs as the HDTV RGBHV signal is. This signal went from the DVD player to the iscan via Svideo cable.

I just had to see if a component signal from a DVD player made any difference or improvement over Svideo cable so I borrowed an iscan pro DVDO from my retailer along with component cables and hooked them both up to the D-ILA at the same time so I could A/B compare between Svideo and component feed. (The iscan pro model takes component inputs). They were both fed via RGBHV breakout cable from the VGA output of the DVDOs to the video inputs of the D-ILA. I could not tell any difference in the picture except that the iscan pro has some controls that let you tweek the colors a little.

I will be watching the thread to see if anyone answers your question since there are so many forum members out there that know so much more than I do. I am also interested in your question since I won't have a scaler for awhile to watch DVDs on my D-ILA. Nevertheless the HDTV pictures on the D-ILA are spectular. I bought the D-ILA sight unseen having never seen one until mine arrived in the box.

Larry

·
Registered
457 Posts
HAndrade,

I don't really see any advantage to taking the Progressive Component signal output from your DVD player and transcoding it into RGB(HV) just to use the Computer input connectors. I run my JVC 723 (progressive) directly into the Component inputs (Y-Pb-Pr) on my G11U, and am quite happy with the picture quality.

Now, if you are using a scaler, or an HTPC, which is able to match the generated signal pixel for pixel to the D-ILA panel resolution, then you may see a benefit to using the computer inputs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From what I remember years ago...

The scaler in the DILA is particularly weak. Therefore even a progressive DVD player would not be on par with a interlaced player to a Quadscan/Rock/HTPC, whatever.

I remember folks using the non-progressive out of progressive enabled players fed to a Quadscan for improved quality.

HANdrade, have U seen the output to your DILA scaled to it's native res from DVD thru an external processor for comparison. Perhaps what U don't know won't hurt U. Perhaps I don't know... I've never seen progressive DVD to my DILA. Only interlaced, and it was truly a pitiful sight. I thought it was a scaler problem more than a deinterlacer problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for your answers.

My idea of taking the Progressive Component signal output from my DVD player and transcoding it into RGB(HV) to use the Computer input connectors was generated since I was not sure that when you use the components inputs of the G15, you are not using an internal deinterlacing (or another processing), that is not present when you use the computer input.

Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.